Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Discreet looking Bluetooth

4K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  car-nut 
#1 ·
I want to rig up 6x9s in the parcel shelf and two smaller 4"? in the front of my 56.

Currently there's a regular AM radio and front speaker only.

Am thinking ... since I only want to play music from my phone ... can I get a small car version of a Bluetooth receiver that I have wired into the power and sits inside the glove box?

Anyone know of such a thing?

Ideally I don't want it to have any radio. Figure there must me something that's maybe 4" square x 1" that will fit neatly?

#3 ·
Went there at lunchtime. Surprising they had nothing.

Also tried Jaycar (electronics components store) – they knew what I wanted to do, but their box only took a 3.5 jack ... not the multiple pairs of wires that would end from regular speakers.

I figure now this needs to come from a regular car audio place.

#5 ·
Thanks, Dean.

We had a nice little portable speaker in the 56 while we road tripped. Pretty good, but I think I prefer something hardwired for ongoing use ... and bigger sound. Might have to come back to this, though, if it gets too hard.

#7 ·
That's an idea. I had my other radio rebuilt with lines in and out, and still kept the AM part going.

Maybe just rebuild existing to be just Bluetooth.

Hmmm.

#8 ·
Checked with Phil – and also the guy in Melbourne who did my other one. To do this on an original unit they want $750 to include the Bluetooth – and this will automatically include the AM FM and aux output – it’s all on the one board, which is more than I need. Oh well.

#13 · (Edited)
#15 · (Edited)
I stock 2 difference BT units to go straight to the amp in my garage car audio shop. Funny that a retail shop didn’t have. LOL.

If you want a little more control than the hidden one look at the round BT controller I have. It mounts in a 1 1/8” hole and give you volume, track up/down, and play/pause.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#16 · (Edited)
So those little babies all need some sort of an amp.

Are there any car audio speakers that have built-in amps, or are the all in separate heads?

My benchmark was the ease with which the three of us in the car could push our music from iPhones to the portable bluetooth speaker we had. I just want the same with more speakers and wired in (to avoid recharging).

#17 ·
Think of the Bluetooth link simply replacing the cable that would connect your phone to an amp. The one with the buttons gives you some control over the phone.

They don’t make amplified speakers for cars, only amplified subwoofers.

Most Bluetooth devices don’t let you link more that one phone at a time.

The simplest setup is a Retrosound radio. For someone that really must leave the OEM radio in the dash the Bluetooth controller and amp is acceptable as long as you are okay with not having FM or XM Radio.

Thanks,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#19 ·
Ok ... I think I have this sorted.

It's a motorcycle amplifier with Bluetooth®.

Comes in a kit with some very '50s looking speakers that some might want to mount under their dash. But I am just going to run a pair or 6x9s in the rear parcel shelf – a bit more oomph.

Now, the head does not need to be hooked up to any other amplifier or radio, is it will be independent of the original AM radio – which all works fine.

And this little baby is so small I might actually be able to install it in the ash tray! Otherwise it will do on the side panel of the glove box.

www.elite-electronics.com.au/Motorc..._3_Bluetooth_Motorcycle_Speakers_w_Amp_Chrome

Will install as soon as I get the car back – can't wait.

Btw, which port on the fuse box should I put this to? Or do I connect to a tab behind the ignition switch?

#21 · (Edited)

Attachments

#20 ·
Mine is a Custom Autosound.
Slidebar. Analog face for original look. Digital face for controls.
Has AM/FM, 25 presets
300W peak
7 LCD color choices
Optional Blutooth w/ BLUKIT
yadda, yadda.
Bout $300.

#24 · (Edited)
Looks good. Handy having the graphic equaliser.

It does not need a separate amp, I take it?

#25 ·
This is what I found and use, from Out of Sight Audio.
http://www.outofsightaudio.com

I put the unit under the seat. It only requires a ground and a positive wire to the unit. From there just run your speaker wires to the speakers and you are done with then installation. Go into phone settings and connect to OOSA and control all music and functions from your phone.

Originally I suspected I made need an amp for power to get some good sound out of it. To my delight it sounds really good and is actually very loud as is. I am only able to turn the volume up on my phone about 50% before it is too loud.

While this may not be the cheapest solution, to me it is the best solution. Easy to wire and small enough to hide anywhere!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.