Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Odd noise when turning right

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Jalapeno 
#1 ·
After finally getting the ignition and fuel system worked out to a reasonable degree, I have only had a few opportunities to drive the car, but I have noticed that it has developed a very odd, but familiar sound that only occurs, but occurs pretty loudly when making a right.

The sound is rhythmic and almost sounds hollow--like a rap-rap-rap-rap sounds. It also sounds very familiar.

I am not experiencing any vibration in the steering, and it almost feels more like a tail pipe than part of the wheel or the steering.

Any ideas? Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

#6 ·
Years ago, I had a similar issue... only on right turns, a weird clattering/rhythmic sound. I even attempted to run beside the car with a friend driving it around a tight / right turn (I'm confident that was a hideous sight..).

One day, when I had the car in the air, looking closely at everything, I found the culprit. The right muffler which was hung with the typical rubber hanger, was "swinging" over to the left and barely touching the rear U-joint yoke. Waaahhhaaalllaaaa !! and it was an easy fix..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.