Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

** battery tenders sold by Harbor Freight

9K views 53 replies 35 participants last post by  fifties-forever 
#1 ·
Does anyone here have had a real world bad experience with them. Not from your long lost cousin 3 times removed or you heard from someone that someone had a bad experience. ONLY YOU YOUR SELF. I have used 5-6 of them for several years without a failure. Thanks

#2 ·
I have one of the red square box ones from harbor freight and it has worked great for 15 years

#5 ·
The reason i ask is this is the third year in a row that a returning snowbird friend of mine came over for a visit so see what my inter projects were coming along. He see's my cars with the HF tenders on them and begins stating for $5.95 you risk burning your barn and everything in it down. Like i have stated i have used them for years without a single problem. Just wanted your guys thoughts.
As far as the name brand one's for $40 i can buy a new "BLEM" battery from my friend who own's a huge distributorship for the same amount of coin.

#7 ·
I've never tried the HF version. I have had battery tenders for decades. Started with a Battery Tender for motorcycle which lasted 12-15 years than replaced that with a Jr which I had for motorcycle and now charges my riding mower in shed and I bought a 4 bank (10 years old) for in my garage which charges motorcycle, my car, friends truck and a spare for now.

#13 ·
Much of the low cost Chinese stuff at HF can be downright dangerous to use especially anything electrical... They copy everything including the "UL Listed" labeling.

Your friend has a valid point and in my opinion you should be aware of the potential ramifications.

"You buy cheap....... You get cheap"

#15 ·
I too have had one for several years and it works just fine. Cheap too!

#18 ·
My Dad has one that has been in use on multiple implement and car batteries every winter. It gets rotated periodically, tractor, rototiller, snow blower, and even a car battery now an then. Has to be at lease 10+ years and going strong. Yes, we all fear Chinese products. How about your phone, laptop, etc? I fear them too. I had a friend that lost two cars and a garage over an air compressor short. I disconnect mine every night. Be vigilant.

#19 ·
I have a Schumacher SE-1-12S that seemed to be constantly charging the battery with no draw on the battery(disconnected - terminal). I didn't trust it so I bought a Battery Tender Jr 12V 750mA and has worked perfectly on my car for the last 3 years. It is designed for one battery only, not multiple hook ups.
It has 4 modes indicated by flashing or solid red or green light.

The one I don't use was designed to be left in the car(hard wired which I liked) and plugged into an extension cord but was afraid it would keep trying to charge a fully charged battery.

The Battery Tender brand is plugged into the wall and alligator clips to the battery and has a green light light when it is just maintaining a fully charged battery.:):bowtier:

#20 ·
HARBOR FREIGHT BAT TENDER

Can somebody post a picture of the HF tender of which we are speaking about.
Is it the 9-15 dollar unit?

If so I bought mine about 3 or so years ago. No issues till i noticed the other day i was checking the battery that was fully charged at the time of hook up to the HF charger that it was dead.

#39 ·
#22 ·
I'm using the HF 2-10-50 charger

its designed for std and gel batteries. ( switch to choose type)

it will not over charge, cycles on as needed,
BUT..... I do not leave in any batt for extended times,
typically 3-4 days on 2 A, and batt never gets warm, yet will be 12.6 or better when checked,

my shumacher (sp) always seemed to make the batt warm,
this charger (HF) is like $40-50, but on sale frequently for $29.

as a side note, I never see fumes, or moisture using this charger, but did using other chargers.

#23 ·
I have a battery charger that I rarely use. When the car gets parked in the garage, I just slip the positive cable off the post. I never tighten it down with a wrench. Just a snug fit. In the winter, my unheated garage rarely gets below 32 degrees.

After winter, I put the charger on for a couple of hours while I check the tires and other things before firing it up. I just can't see the value in having a tender on it all winter. I guess maybe the battery will last longer if you have a tender on it. But, batteries are pretty cheap as opposed to my $1,000 Homeowners deductible should something go wrong and a fire starts.

#26 ·
fyi--If your battery freezes just once... its done!. They bulge out on the sides if they have been frozen . Did that many years ago.Unless you your shop is piled up with stuff i'd worry too.No worries though. Inever even thought about it hth bob s

#24 ·
I have an older Schumacher battery charger maintainer that I have had for at least 10 years maybe more. I bought it at Walmart on sale for around $19.00 if I recall. It has worked on both a motorcycle battery and also my 66 el-camino. I keep the el-camino plugged in all of the time as I only drive it a couple of times a year and it has always maintained the battery. The current battery is 8 years old and still starts the 396 engine hot or cold like a new batt. I had not started the engine for over six month's and yesterday it cranked it over to prime the fuel pump and it fired right up. I think the use of the tender is what has allowed this battery to live so long. I would want to trust one from HF. The same charger I have is still available from Amazon For $24.94 right now. Read the full description on both the HF charger for $19.95 and this one and you will see that the Schumacher one is well worth the extra five dollars. Also if left on long enough it will recharge a dead battery if it will take a charge. I will be buying a second one when I get my 57 project finished.

Battery Power supply Electronics accessory Technology Electronic device

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SEM-1562A-CA-Charge-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0009IBJAS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510493815&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=battery+tender&refinements=p_89%3ASchumacher

#35 · (Edited)
I have an older Schumacher battery charger maintainer that I have had for at least 10 years maybe more. I bought it at Walmart on sale for around $19.00 if I recall. It has worked on both a motorcycle battery and also my 66 el-camino. I keep the el-camino plugged in all of the time as I only drive it a couple of times a year and it has always maintained the battery. The current battery is 8 years old and still starts the 396 engine hot or cold like a new batt. I had not started the engine for over six month's and yesterday it cranked it over to prime the fuel pump and it fired right up. I think the use of the tender is what has allowed this battery to live so long. I would want to trust one from HF. The same charger I have is still available from Amazon For $24.94 right now. Read the full description on both the HF charger for $19.95 and this one and you will see that the Schumacher one is well worth the extra five dollars. Also if left on long enough it will recharge a dead battery if it will take a charge. I will be buying a second one when I get my 57 project finished.

View attachment 159770

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SEM-1562A-CA-Charge-Battery-Maintainer/dp/B0009IBJAS/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1510493815&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=battery+tender&refinements=p_89%3ASchumacher
57 BelAir i have 3 of these running .And they are this particular tender also have one On a big bike., I haven't ever concerned myself with them. Although I walk thru the storage side,of my building ,once a week, and just look around!! and at them.They bring a battery up fast i OOOHHH!! I also have a big charger on my golf cart- they are close to $350. Now as i talk about this subject, i get just a tiny bit concerned- but not worried. Once a battery freezes--- its shot-- . Think about that. bob s

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.