Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

The Green Manalishi

41K views 140 replies 40 participants last post by  1971BB427 
#1 · (Edited)
I was on here a week or two ago and someone was looking for a site that had images of tri-fives and Dupont's Paint Shop site came up. It has a nice '56, but I have a '55 and wanted to visualize my car finished. I found Newstalgia's site and it has all three. So I set my car up the way I envisioned it, added some graphics, and here you go.

I got a finned scoop the other day, I'm sure it will make it faster.:rolleyes:

It looks so nice, I'll probably run it without a hood for the time being. It's amazing how one piece can get you motivated to finish a project... I can't wait to drive it this summer. I better get on it!!!

Later,

Mike

p.s.

I know it's black! The Green Manalishi is the engine...

See less See more
#30 ·
Went to a swap meet this weekend and picked up a new intake for my '55. I was looking for a tunnel ram to top the engine to help with the attitude. I've always liked the look of a cross-ram but thought that they were out of my price range.

I found this setup and it was a good deal so I snagged it up. One of our local gasser guys makes the scoops so I picked up a couple of those as well. I'll probably end up painting them green and polishing the ridges.

#33 ·
Sorry, I haven't checked this in a while. I will post some pics of what I did. It was pretty simple. Instead of a pocket kit that a would have lowered the car a couple inches, I used some mounts for a Jeep front and rear. I had to add two 1/4" spacer pieces to the inside of the front brackets because the stock springs are narrower.

I plan on doing a build thread when I get back to working on it this spring.

#39 ·
So I started working on it again. I am changing it a bit - more the stance than anything. I ordered some Hurst 10x30x15 slicks and have some 15x10 slots that I will run. It's going to be a bit lower and I am sure that I will have to radius the wheelwells.

This is what I was working on today. The front is getting cut off. I'm building a 2x4 frame and am switching to a '59 truck axle. Not sure if I will chrome it but it will get drilled.

Here are a couple shots:

This is the stock setup - the horns are pretty bent up and it's worse than it looks. It has been in an accident.

The tubes are 4x2 and I used a paint can to get the front radius - thanks Lance for the tip.

I measured back 12" to get the slope and the plasma cutter made short work of it.

After all the cuts I clamped the two together and used a flapper wheel on my grinder to get them symmetric.

That's all I had time for today. I need some 2"x1/8" to cap the rails then weld some bracing to make the clip to weld to the old frame.

Makes me nervous to cut off the frame but I know I will like it much better. Thanks to those who have lent their advice on this and to posts here and on the HAMB. I think it will be OK. This is a bit more intimidating than going from a 4-door to a 2-door!

#40 ·
hey mike! good to hear of the progress. did I read your post right? your going to radius the rear wheel well? NICE!! To me that makes "the look"...cutting the frame was nothing compared to making the cuts at the rear wheel well though...I agonized over getting it "just right" forever before making the cuts. The fotki web site has thousands of pics of gassers to help make the decision easier...or harder I guess depending how you look at it.

If I havent said it before I sure like your cross ram intake manifold, thats going to really set this car apart.

Charlie

#41 ·
Thanks Charlie. Yeah, I'm sure that I will have to trim the wells. Not sure what style yet. We'll see when I get the tires.

I hope I can get it tuned to run good. I have a friend-of-a-friend that is supposed to be awesome at tuning multiple carbs so I will give him a try. I may take it to a dyno if they will do it just to see what it is really putting out.

Here's an update for today. Off came the old front clip.

Looks naked!

Now to see if all of my measurements are correct.

There are some shoulders welded into the frame where the bolts for the steering box and idler arm go and man are they a PITA to get out! I'll save that for another day, I'm done for tonight. :D

#42 ·
I remember those stiffners well! redrilling the new bolt holes through the gusset, then through the old frame, and then through the new 2x4" frame which was stubbed into the old frame, was a challenge as well expecially with my old hand drill.
the bitch is now I"m probably going to be moving my steering box forward about 3" and all that work was for nothing:laugh:

#43 ·
Trimmed the stubs this morning while I had a few minutes. I sloped the backs to allow the stubs to go into the existing frames and for something to weld to. They slip right in and are the same length as the originals.

There is about a 1/4" of space on the inside of the rails so I think that I will add a plate to the inside of the rails so I don't have to pinch the inner part of the frame. They are 31 7/8" on center.

The next step is to square the frame up on the floor and tack some supports so I can put it back in and square it to the original frame and tack it in. Then mounting the front suspension.

#46 ·
Had a attack on system , Otis had to change the server.

Please rep-post.

#48 ·
Yeah, I saw the post on FB. No worries.

Here are the shots of my truck axle being cleaned up prior to rebuilding and drilling the holes.

I am cleaning off the casting marks on top and bottom. Looks a lot better even though noone will ever see it.

Also welded in the clip.

#50 ·
Try this again.

I finish welded the frame on Sunday. Borrowed a friends Miller 211 and it works like a champ. Used the auto setting and the welds came out great! My Lincoln 110v was a little weak on the thick stuff.

Also drilled 13 holes in the axle and got it ready for mock up. I'll clean the other spindle and install the rotors to set suspension height.

I posted this the other day and it ended up on another thread, we'll see where this ends up.

Mike

#53 ·
Mikko, it's the stock cast iron axle and its pretty hard. I don't think hat I will have to worry about pulling the front tires. I don't have that much power, gears, or traction.

Thanks Vall. I hope to rebuild the axle in the next few days so I can start mocking the mounts.

#58 ·
Worked today on the new axle arrangement. It was fun becuase my daughter was helping. :tu

I'm using the '59 GMC axle and Speedway springs. The blocks (spacers) are leftover tubing from the rails that I boxed the ends in. I tried it with no spacers and it was almost stock height. I like the nose up so I used these.

Here's the front perch.

And the rear.

Just mocked up and tacked in place. Next step is to install the fenders and see if the wheels are in the correct place fore and aft as well as up and down.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.