Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Info on 55 Wagon

4K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  35olds 
#1 ·
The car I have spent some time in Eastern PENN. I've got a lot of questions . I am asking if anyone can identify with this car , thanks .

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Bruce....Did you notice the hood scoop?

#11 ·
55 Wagon

I've got a clear title . There was a mistake made on the title . It two weeks for the PA. DMV to resolve . Probably a typing error . The last number being off by 1 . This car was on ebay and top classic cars for sale site . I bought it . It was really misrepresented . Meaning I was really lied to . My fault , I bought it , now I have to live with it . I thought someone may have seen the car at a cruise in or show . Maybe some day It will be seen and recognized .It does have a hood scoop . Thanks to all .

#12 ·
55 Wagon

Also , found in the car was car cruise flyer .Classic Chevrolet Cruise . Located in Bellevue , PA. Dated May 17th. , 2015 .I know the car could have picked up this flyer anywhere , but I thought it may help . I contacted with the info on the flyer but have had no response .Thanks for any help !

#17 ·
If the 2 previous owners are of no help, then I SERIOUSLY DOUBT locating the next one, back down the line, will either.

Many cars are built to be sold. So If you wish to keep the car long term, list some of the problems it has that concern you. Lots of big problems in electrical or mechanical can be fixed with the right knowledge. And lots of times it is a simple fix.

Lots of knowledge here on this site, just free for asking...so take full advantage of it.

#18 ·
55 wagon Info

Thank you 55wagoncrazy . You are probably right . This car has been drag raced , as how the leaf springs were bent . A huge tach mounted as per racing . I would love to talk to some past owners who are willing to tell about the car . I have surmised , putting two and two together , that the guy I bought from , his daughter got the car in a divorce settlement , and her X wont' tell me anything . I do not know why . For crying out loud , it is just a car . Odd ducks out there , most car guys I know are more than willing to let people know the history of cars , Why the hell would anyone grind off the casted part number on a small block chevy ? I am fixing everything , one thing at a time , but I am really curious about the car . Lots of ???
Bob

#20 ·
55 Wagon Info

Bruce , answer the question right above your comment . You won't have a clue if you did not own the car . Most things that need fixed will be by me .
I already know that this is a really great forum with a lot of knowledgeable people who are more than happy to share info . I am really glad to be part of it, and , I've already learned a lot from it ,

Thanks , guys ,

Bob

#23 · (Edited)
Bruce , answer the question right above your comment .

Bob
The answer to that is someone was obviously trying to hide something. Never a good thing and only done by a very shady character meant to deceive someone. There is never a good reason to deface or remove original engine identification numbers or stampings and in some cases it is illegal to do so.

#24 ·
55 4 Dr, Beauville Wagon

Bruce , I totally agree with what you said . The engine stamping , which is still there , identifies the motor to be out of a 1986 pickup . That is why I would like to question someone who knows this car . I know that you can re-stamp a small block chevy to be out of anything , with any kind of H.P., but the casted dates and the casting numbers would not lie . I read , that some guys , with early corvettes , would go to the trouble to change the casting numbers . Re-stamping is very easy to do .
Thanks , Bob

#25 ·
Bruce , I totally agree with what you said . The engine stamping , which is still there , identifies the motor to be out of a 1986 pickup . That is why I would like to question someone who knows this car . I know that you can re-stamp a small block chevy to be out of anything , with any kind of H.P., but the casted dates and the casting numbers would not lie . I read , that some guys , with early corvettes , would go to the trouble to change the casting numbers . Re-stamping is very easy to do .
Thanks , Bob
You can't hang your hat on the stamp since GM used the suffix codes on more than one engine in more than one year. Is the partial VIN still on the pad? If it is you can break it down and get close. If it is in fact a truck block there are only 1 or 2 choices the casting number could be and to be honest there is likely not much if any difference in the bare block between the two.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.