Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

will it fit

9K views 45 replies 17 participants last post by  alaskastreamin 
#1 ·
Is it possibile to get a 6/71 on a 350 to fit in a 57 with all the moving parts under the bonnett.
I relise at least the aircleaner has to poke out and that cool but I want to know if its possibile to keep it conforming to roadworthy ??
I am guessing I can notch the crossmember to sit it down a bit but any other info would be a help??
Cheers

#2 ·
I'm not sure what "under the bonnett" is, what is meant by roadworthy and what crossmember are you re. to notching? Are you talking about the belly/pan of the a-frame? About 7-8 years ago, I put a 406 sbc into my '57 Belair. I mounted a 671 BDS blower on top with 2 600 Edlebrock carbs. I used KN air filters for the top. It seems to me, even though I looked at it a 1000 times, that the top of the blower/base of the carbs. are about even with the hood which had to be cut to accommodate this setup. They definitely stick up and out but personally, I like this look. Couple that with the visibilty of the blower belt, and you get alot of attention wherever you go. I never considered cutting anything in the engine compartment to make this setup sit lower. Blowers produce alot of force and are very strong. By cutting something, would you be taking away some of the engine compartment strength that you really need? Also, by lowering it, would you create a problem with the oil pan, center link/drag link, overall steering, rear pinion angle, etc. These are just some thoughts. I really don't know. They do make a single carb blower-I believe its called a 144-not sure of the maker-that I've seen on some trifives and the hood wasn't cut and the sbc engine appears to be sitting properly in the engine compartment. The above probably wasn't much help but it represents my personal experience. Good luck with yours, Carmine.

#7 ·
And Bonnett is me..:sign0020:

#6 ·
I`ll try again.. yes hood and bonett are the same also boot and trunk are the same :)
To conform with the roadworthy laws here I need all moving parts to be under to hood.
Can I sit the motor lower in the bay by notching the chassis x member ?? I want a little bit poking out but the less the better and easier for me to make it all fit
Cheers

#9 ·
When you try to lower the engine in the chassis, you're going to have all kinds of problems to solve.

1. Oil pan clearance to the ground.
2. Crank pulley clearance to the crossmember.
3. Transmission clearance to the ground.
4. Exhaust will need to be modified.

And I'm sure there's more.

Seems to me that a smaller blower (say a Wieand) gives you a better shot at your goals while still having a direct mounted blower.

#12 · (Edited)
Me thinks the 57 hood is a wee bit lower.

#13 ·
Ok Guys, A quick lesson in Aussie conversion.
Aussie- American.
Bonnet- Hood
Boot - Trunk
Mudguard - Fender.
Turret- roof. We use both terminologies
Sump- oil pan
Engine bay- Engine compartment.
Diff - rear end. We use both.
some one else can add some more.

#17 ·
Thank you for that quick lesson in "Aussie conversion". Its obvious that I struggle somewhat with automotive technology/terms in English. I would be in way over my head in Australia. But, all is not lost. I am going tonight to Outback and have some shrimp on the barbie :).

#21 ·
Hi, Not much, just drinking beer and workin in the shed. You guys getting ready for that cyclone. Really windy here.

#23 ·
I tried a 4/71 on my 56 20 or so years ago. I just took the bonett off. It is still the same height as the 6/71 just shorter in length. If you really want a blower and it has the fit under the bonnet then the only thing that I know would go close to fitting is the B&M 177 Cu In blower.

#32 ·
Hi Oz, I know you sent me a pm but I couldn't open it. Some knuckle head recently hacked into my e-mail account and I'm trying to resolve this issue with the service provider. Anyhow, I was out in the garage this a.m. and after kicking the mice out of the way, I have some measurements for you. These measurements are based on my small block chevy engine with a complete 671BDS blower unit. From the top of the intake to the top lid of my KN filter is 16 inches. The filter thickness is 3". From the top of the intake to the top of the Edelbrock carbs. w/o the filters on is close to 13". From the top of the intake to where the blower goes through the hood is 10". Basically, the blower sticks about 6" above the hood with the filters. Hope this helps and if you need anything else, guess we'll have to go through this forum until my e-mail is restored. Good luck, Carmine.

#38 ·
There was a few at motivation with em in the elite hall. I think it can be done. I am going to put in a application to modify the car with the blower. One of the guidlines is that you cant have any engine parts out of the bonnett which may harm a pedistrian but I will apply on the grounds that bonnett spears and all the other chrome work on the car is just a big a issue and the car is pre ADR`s.
Like I mentioned you have to be able to see a point on the road 11m infront with the seat in the rear most position.

#39 ·
Hi oz, if I did the math right, you're talking about seeing 35-36 feet in front of you with the seat back. I'm a tall person and since 2005, I've been driving around with my blown '57 Belair and I don't recall ever having a problem seeing anything at any distance. It may be an issue at times when you park at a car show (at least for me) and they try to squeeze you in tight to the next guy. With the blower sticking out, it can be hard to pick up the front of the passenger fender. If in doubt, I send the Mrs. out for guidance. Good luck with your registration, Carmine.

#46 ·
Could you just form a subtle "bulge" in the hood to cover the belt?
Also, is it legal to have a fiberglass hood?

On my AMX, I glued foam on the hood and shaped it in rough, Sheetrock mud got it perfect then a mold was pulled. From that I made a cool hood.
I wanted my blower belt to show and with a 4" rise over factory, I had to put a 2" spacer under the blower.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.