Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

LS 3 cold air intake

23K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  Randy 57 
#1 ·
Slowly getting my LS 3 in my 57 but have a few questions. What air inlet and filter are you using? Where did you get your fuel tank setup from? Thanks guys appreciate any help.

#6 ·
Here's what I'm planning, not complete yet.

I assume you have a crate engine and have read the instructions for placing the MAF sensor in a 12" or so long aluminum tube. The boss that comes with the crate engine controller welds to the aluminum tube, placed as they instruct.

I'm going to use a Spectre 97990 4" aluminum elbow off the throttle body - connected to the tube with the MAF in it. Upstream from that I have a Spectre 9831 inline air cleaner assembly with 4" inlet and outlet. It looks like a giant glass pack muffler. It's connected to the tube with the MAF. From there I'm going to build ducting to pick up cold air from the inner fenderwell. On my car there's not enough room to route the ducting through the filler panel in radiator support. I think roger1 built a fenderwell air duct for his Ram Jet 350.

One thing you need to do if you're going to use the fenderwell is to make sure that you won't pick up any water coming off the tire when it rains. Requires a baffle of some sort.

That's for a 55, 56 should be similar. A 57 can use the fresh air duct behind the headlight.

#8 ·
Randy that's pretty close to what I have in mind. Looks good.

I didn't mention my tank. It's a Rock Valley stainless steel tank with an internal pump.

The Tanks Inc. tanks that are built for an in tank pump are stock style construction and are a better budget choice.

#10 ·
We offer a twin cold air intake and crossflow radiator system like what we used on project Bruiser Nomad and the Prestwood 55 convertible. We designed it to give symmetry to the engine compartment with the twin air boxes. We offer it for LS engine applications. All of the shiney stuff is stainless for low maintenance. Please let me know if I can be of help.
https://www.hotroddynamics.com/product-page/1955-hrd-trifive-radiator-and-air-intake-system

Attachments

#23 ·
Who drives there car in the rain!!!:sign0020:

The filter itself will keep water out as long as its just mist road spray. A good filter will handle alot of it. A simple baffle on the bottom rad one would help prevent it.

But if car is a driver IE in rain then I would want a baffle for it for sure.

#24 ·
I started looking at filter area options for building a CAI for my car.

Turns out that most of the clamp on conical filters that you commonly see don't have near the area that even a small panel filter has, or for that matter an old school round filter. For instance the filter in a Spectre 9831 air box which I was previously going to use is only 13.35" x 5" x 1/2". Multiplying the dimensions gives a "factor" of 33.38. On the other hand the panel filter from a gen4 Camaro is 11.5" x 6" x 1.125", for a factor of 77.62. Over double. Compare all that to a 14" diameter x 3" x 1/2" "old school" filter element like many use on a carb. Factor is 65.97.

Kind of opened up my thinking on this.

It just feeds my like of racsan's CAI setup. It's going to be a challenge with my radiator. I'll have to route the air tube and have it miss my upper radiator hose, and I can't have a vertical down tube, it will have to be angled. Still looks like it can be done though. Looks like I might could be able to use a panel filter element that's 5" or 6" tall x 12"-16" long. It's all going to be tight though.

I also want to use a "dry" element, per the discussion of Sledgehammer's situation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.