Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

55 Traditional Hot Rod Project

3K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Bowties&Birds 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Here is my 55 of 20 plus years. Due to military related moves, some bad luck and a few bad decisions by me, the car has gone from decent driver to rusted project car. :(

My plan is a traditional 50s-early 60s style hot rod. Kind of American Graffiti meets Sometimes They Come Back. Good solid driver with old school look.

Looks like it's going to be a driveway budget build, get it back together and drive to wheels off! So any recommendations on this style of build are always welcome. I have basic tools, but a lot stuff like welder and painting stuff has had to go to keep all of our moves manageable.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
If you want old school, stay away from anything billet or stainless braided hoses, digital gauges, etc. The only concession I make on my old school hot rods is modern brakes. And from an old fart lifer, thank you for your service.

#14 ·
Thanks Bill,

I know I need paint & body materials, a better quarter patch, a new carburetor, wheels/tires, and windshield (which was broken at some point). I know there will be a lot of other things, but these are the big ones right now. My storage is limited, so most all the parts are getting stuffed into my tool shed. Which should make finding things loads of fun!

#16 ·
You are correct, have had this car for over 20 years and it's never been finished and probably never will be. It has been a great car though and a lot of fun! At the same time it has been a royal PITA!

I will pass along the Thank You's. One major goal of this build is to get the car back together and driving until she retires. Then hopefully we can settle someplace with a real garage I can work out of. :p3:

#19 ·
That's a Cool '55 You've got

Hey Tim,
Don't listen to the "naysayers"
If You want it to happen, You can do it.
I can tell You from experience. I've owned my '55 for 44 Yrs, and been driving it for 2. And I'm still working on it. It's far from finished, but I get compliments almost everytime I drive it. The best of which are from people who want to buy it. Plus, I take it to car shows, and win trophies for Best in Under construction class. And, with 450 hp, the patina doesn't slow it down. There are guys around with prettier cars that will testify to that. That's what Hot Roddin' is all about. I like Your car. Keep working on it.
Rudy

#20 ·
Hey Tim,
Finally back on here to find your thread. Looks like this will be a fun project!!

Looks like you have a fenced yard, maybe a small "portable garage" could be helpful for storing parts... I had 3 at one time (very popular with the neighbors- LOL) - I just put a heavy 9 mil plastic sheet on the ground to slow the moisture and set up some plastic racks inside to stack up all my parts.

Something like this? https://www.harborfreight.com/10-ft-x-17-ft-Portable-Garage-62860.html

Usually around $179 with their sales/coupons...

#21 ·
Next Steps

Getting the 55 running and driving is a priority. I have all the parts including glass, minus the windshield which got broken at some point that I didn't have the car.

Needs are new carb, finish some suspension work, finish brake system upgrades.

Get rust spots sanded and primed at least.

Portable garage is an option for storing the car maybe, so wife can have the carport back for winter months. All the parts are stowed in basement and tool shed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.