Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

TBI recommendations for high altitude application

5K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  crob1 
#1 ·
Just bought a 56 bel air sedan with a manual 4-speed and replaced V8 engine that I can't yet identify. I think it's a 265 or 283, maybe 307. The block code is V0307WB, but I can't see the casting number without plucking the engine (unless there's something I don't know). It's got an old 2bbl carb on it that is pretty temperamental. I'm constantly feathering the gas just to keep it running between low idle and driving and I smell unburned fuel. I think it's trouble is largely because it's been run like 20 times in the past 10 years and also that I live at 8,500 ft elevation.

I'm looking to upgrade to a TBI set up so it will monitor the O2 and I can run it in any temperature, drive from 5,000 ft elevation to 11,000 ft and back and have it behave pretty well throughout. I want it to start easy and drive ok before it's fully up to temperature. I basically want it to start and run more like a modern car. I want a driver / touring car rather than a hot rod.

I'm not looking for incredible performance or great gas mileage although I'd expect I'll get at least a little of both for $1K-$3K. 90% of my requirement is driveability.

Any recommendations?

#2 ·
I have a 1991 model 350 with factory GM TBI in my 57. It has been bored and a small cam in it. It cranks great, runs as fast as you need to run, and get 17-19 mpg on average. Had a guy build the harness for it. It ties into the car with a couple of wires, the ECM is under the passenger seat.
Terry

#3 ·
Hmmm, interesting... I'm not looking to get a whole new engine, I wonder if I could find a factory TBI setup in a salvage yard that I could fit to my existing engine. I would probably need the intake manifold as well. I wonder how self-contained it would be? Does it also adjust the timing (electronic ignition) or could I use the existing distributor with vacuum advance?

I like your results, but I think I'm going to have to go aftermarket. Trying not to overdo this

#4 ·
The stock GM TBI is pretty compact and adaptable. I am running on on my IH 392.
Aftermarket TBI and can get expensive. If your willing to pull you own parts and follow some wire diagrams you can do the swap pretty cheap a few hundred bucks. And if you got the right Ecm you will not even have to retune it.

The TBI intake manifolds tbi distributors will work on the earlier SBC's. Just get everything. If its a 265 then you would need to fix the cam oil issues for it.

The TBI will control, fuel, ignition and will prevent knock etc. You can also get the PCM versions to run electronic transmissions.

Read up on GM TBI. Its has International harvester swap info but alot of good common data. http://www.binderplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47254

Also Bill at Hamilton Fuel injection can make you a system for your needs.
Email:
sales@hamiltonfuelinjection.com
Phone:
(360) 969-2925

#6 ·
THe suffix code appears to be either a late 283 or early 307. You can tell the difference by the fact that a 283 will have a 1 inch or 1 1/4 hole behind the distributer where a road draft tube or early PCV hose hooked. A 307 will not have this hole they vented through rocker cover.

#7 ·
No Hole - 307, thank you. I can see this forum is the real deal. What a wealth of knowledge and members that really participate! BTW, I spoke with Bill at Hamilton Fuel Injection and holy, moley-rockets that guy knows his shtuff. He's going to set me up EXACTLY the way I need. Thanks markm and bo185 again. I'm really loving this and can't wait until I can be helping other nubies.

#8 ·
If the 307 is in good shape then just do a TBI swap and enjoy. A stock 305 TBI chip will run it just fine. Bill can even burn you a performance tune on the chip as well.

His harnesses all come labeled and easy to hook things up and get everything dialed in. I bought and airtex E2000 electric fuel pump for $25 off Rockauto on a close out. I should have bought two!! But you can mount it on the frame rail easy enough then just block off the mech one. Place a return in the side of filler tube.

The ECM you can mount inside or under the hood. I would mount it under dash if you could fit it.

#9 ·
Well, the 307 is a losing battle. It burns about a quart of oil every 100 miles or so and the old 2bbl is a fire waiting to happen. Friend offered to sell me a crate 350 with only 5000 miles on it with a 4bbl and stock cam for $600. I'm swapping it out this Saturday!!!

I still will probably do the TBI with Bill at Hamilton but not for a few months.

Thanks everyone for the help!

#13 ·
Got my TBI kit from HFI delivered last Friday and working my way through the instructions. Lots of steps, but very well documented. No single thing looks very tough, but the whole job has got me a little nervous. I think the biggest job is going to be making it look neat and tidy. Didn't seem like so many wires until I got a good look at the harness...whew. Can't wait to be done with vapor locking, the altitude and winter gas have conspired to leave me by the side of the road 3 times now with the existing carburetor setup. Once the season opens, I'm going to take 'er to the top of Pikes Peak, Mt. Evans and Trail Ridge Road for pics!

#15 ·
Well, I have my Hamilton Fuel Injection system all installed and running and it is exactly as advertised. Starts easy, runs smooth and strong at all temperatures, altitudes, attitudes, gears and speeds and NO VAPOR LOCK.

I have to say, though, it was quite a bit of work to get it installed neatly. It was very easy, but there was a LOT of very easy. I would HIGHLY recommend going with a new fuel tank set up for TBI as it is a much neater setup. I was forced to go there because my fuel tank was in such bad condition and my fuel gauge sender was shot. I'm so glad I did because there was no need for a jury-rigged return line or external fuel pump. I've put about 500 miles on the system so far and it seems rock solid. I'll be taking it out for the data-logging run this weekend and hope to have the fresh program back by the end of next week.

SO PLEASED!

Joe

#16 ·
Good job.

Well, I have my Hamilton Fuel Injection system all installed and running and it is exactly as advertised.
Joe
Give yourself a hand, Joe. You searched, you found, you conquered!

To a degree, it's not what you know, it's who you know. And Trifive is rich with knowledge.

:congrats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.