alternator ? - Page 3 - TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice

Click here to see our full list of sponsors for all your Parts and Restoration Needs

Click here to find Out all of the Latest information on the Danchuk Tri-five Nationals


Go Back   TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice > 55-56-57 Chevy Forum > Electrical Questions and Answers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Top Posters Mobile Members Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
HomePage Todays Post Mark Forums Read upcoming Events
Newsletter 55-56-57 Chevy Parts & Services Official Sponsors
Photo Gallery Garage Photos Trifive Classifieds Trifive on Facebook Calendar Tech Articles Arcade Oldies
Trifive Cards Car Certificate Trifive Brochure Help with Photos Website Help Videos Contact Us

Electrical Questions and Answers This is the place to ask all your question about electrical problems and instalation issues.

Parts on Ebay            
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2019, 07:48 AM   #21
55 Tony

Trifive Leaders Club




 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 5,567
Member #22177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm1957 View Post
100 amp alternator---just basic electronics --no power anything ---4 speaker sterio --no power amps
A 60 or 80 amp should do fine with little accessories. It is very doubtful that the accessories and the battery will ever get low enough to take anywhere near the 100 amp capacity of the alternator. You may want to try the 60 with an 80 on hand just in case it blows for no real reason. The only real extra accessories I have is an MSD ignition box and I have recently driven it with the heater fan and headlights on high with an 80 but I'm sure I could go lower. The lower, the safer. The highest yours would ever draw would take a situation like everything is turned on till your battery goes dead and you get a jump start, and you have a big @$$ oversized battery to charge (like I do).
__________________
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
55 Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-14-2019, 10:53 AM   #22
mr55/56
Senior Member 1 Silver Star



 

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Midwest
Posts: 990
Member #25615
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
A 60 or 80 amp should do fine with little accessories. It is very doubtful that the accessories and the battery will ever get low enough to take anywhere near the 100 amp capacity of the alternator. You may want to try the 60 with an 80 on hand just in case it blows for no real reason. The only real extra accessories I have is an MSD ignition box and I have recently driven it with the heater fan and headlights on high with an 80 but I'm sure I could go lower. The lower, the safer. The highest yours would ever draw would take a situation like everything is turned on till your battery goes dead and you get a jump start, and you have a big @$$ oversized battery to charge (like I do).
Totally agree with Tony 60-80, much better suited for application, I run 84 amp 10si Delco's, not because I need them, but because they were free.
mr55/56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:59 AM   #23
mdm1957
Senior Member



 

Join Date: May 2016
Location: ohio
Posts: 129
Member #41149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
A 60 or 80 amp should do fine with little accessories. It is very doubtful that the accessories and the battery will ever get low enough to take anywhere near the 100 amp capacity of the alternator. You may want to try the 60 with an 80 on hand just in case it blows for no real reason. The only real extra accessories I have is an MSD ignition box and I have recently driven it with the heater fan and headlights on high with an 80 but I'm sure I could go lower. The lower, the safer. The highest yours would ever draw would take a situation like everything is turned on till your battery goes dead and you get a jump start, and you have a big @$$ oversized battery to charge (like I do).
i found a chart in the archives that shows the wire capacities for wire size and fuses---12ga-20a---10ga-30a---8ga-45a---6g-65a---im assuming that you wouldnt want to use a larger fuse in any of these or you could melt the wire before the fuse blows
mdm1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #24
55 Tony

Trifive Leaders Club




 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 5,567
Member #22177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm1957 View Post
i found a chart in the archives that shows the wire capacities for wire size and fuses---12ga-20a---10ga-30a---8ga-45a---6g-65a---im assuming that you wouldnt want to use a larger fuse in any of these or you could melt the wire before the fuse blows
The ampacity of 12 volt automobile wiring isn't the same as house wiring which is what that sounds like.

https://www.jkowners.com/tech/electrical/ampacity.jpg
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...ingdiagram.jpg

Then again the rules all change for if the wires are bundled, but alternator power wires are normally pretty much open air wiring.
__________________
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Last edited by 55 Tony; 05-14-2019 at 12:22 PM..
55 Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 01:55 PM   #25
acardon

Trifive Automotive Electrical Wiring Expert




 
acardon's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southlake, Texas
Posts: 24,664
Member #1888
Default

The reason fusible links are used instead of fuses: A fusible link is a slow reacting fuse, so a momentary overload will not cause it to open where as a fuse will blow instantly. This will allow a brief 100 amp load (full field) to pass, before the wire it's protecting can heat up. If the load lasts long enough to heat the wire, the link will blow. Using a fuse of the correct size to protect the wire connected to a potential higher amp alternator could cause lot's of fuse changes.
__________________
Don
Sent from my 1981 IBM 5150 PC.
acardon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:04 PM   #26
55 Tony

Trifive Leaders Club




 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 5,567
Member #22177
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acardon View Post
The reason fusible links are used instead of fuses: A fusible link is a slow reacting fuse, so a momentary overload will not cause it to open where as a fuse will blow instantly. This will allow a brief 100 amp load (full field) to pass, before the wire it's protecting can heat up. If the load lasts long enough to heat the wire, the link will blow. Using a fuse of the correct size to protect the wire connected to a potential higher amp alternator could cause lot's of fuse changes.
I think you are thinking too hard. Neither of mine have ever blown. I can't remember how long it's been. But if you are one to work on the main power fused to and from the battery without disconnecting the negative cable then shorting something out, knock yourself out and use a slo-blow type maxi fuse or a mega fuse like they use in modern cars.
__________________
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe

Last edited by 55 Tony; 05-14-2019 at 03:08 PM..
55 Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 04:06 PM   #27
mdm1957
Senior Member



 

Join Date: May 2016
Location: ohio
Posts: 129
Member #41149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Tony View Post
I think you are thinking too hard. Neither of mine have ever blown. I can't remember how long it's been. But if you are one to work on the main power fused to and from the battery without disconnecting the negative cable then shorting something out, knock yourself out and use a slo-blow type maxi fuse or a mega fuse like they use in modern cars.
tony---what gauge wire are you using from alternator to starter solenoid
mdm1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:50 AM   #28
55 Tony

Trifive Leaders Club




 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Cocke County, TN
Posts: 5,567
Member #22177
Default

I forget, it's probably 8 or 10 gauge. I tend to go overboard.
__________________
1955 Bel Air Sport Coupe
55 Tony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:25 PM   #29
mdm1957
Senior Member



 

Join Date: May 2016
Location: ohio
Posts: 129
Member #41149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acardon View Post
Yes, the red wire from the alternator output should go directly to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid. The #2 terminal of the small plug can also go to the battery terminal of the starter. The #1 terminal needs to be connected to the small brown wire that was on the generator.
The body needs to be grounded to the engine.
after un wrapping the tape from the big alternator wire i found the smaller red wire that came out of the alt plug was taped to the big alt wire but before it got to the starter it wasnt connected to anything---just taped to the big red wire---should the smaller red wire also connect to the starter soleniod---i hate to be a-pia- but this one of the last things i have to do and i want to get it right
mdm1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 09:11 AM   #30
mdm1957
Senior Member



 

Join Date: May 2016
Location: ohio
Posts: 129
Member #41149
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by acardon View Post
Yes, the red wire from the alternator output should go directly to the battery terminal of the starter solenoid. The #2 terminal of the small plug can also go to the battery terminal of the starter. The #1 terminal needs to be connected to the small brown wire that was on the generator.
The body needs to be grounded to the engine.
can i just connect the wire from the small plug#2 terminal directly to the alternator terminal instead of running it all the way to the starter terminal
mdm1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10SI alternator upgrade to CS130 alternator fiddlerpin Electrical Questions and Answers 1 12-15-2012 11:56 AM
Alternator bracket woes Obi-Wan Chit Chat Area, Anything on your mind goes here. 11 12-10-2007 06:43 PM
Generator to Alternator Shanleal Stock Chevy Discussion 55-56-57 2 10-24-2006 02:42 AM
Alternator puzzle Doughboy Stock Chevy Discussion 55-56-57 1 07-06-2006 01:45 PM
generator to alternator? walt bauer Super Stock / Pro Street and Modified Discussion 55-56-57 2 05-25-2006 09:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 PM.

Click here to see our full list of sponsors for all your Parts and Restoration Needs

Websites
www.tri-5.com www.tri-fives.com www.trifive.com

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright 2000-2009 Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.
1957 CHEVROLET BEL AIR Information, 1957 CHEVROLET BEL AIR Specifications, 1957 CHEVROLET BEL AIR Resources, 1957 CHEVROLET BEL AIR Pictures, 1957 CHEVROLET 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 55 chevy pictures 55 chevy parts 55 chevy truck 55 chevy pickup 55 chevy nomad 55 chevy gasser 55 chevy pro street 56 chevy pictures 56 chevy parts 56 chevy truck 56 chevy pickup 56 chevy nomad 56 chevy gasser 56 chevy pro street 57 chevy pictures 57 chevy parts 57 chevy truck 57 chevy pickup 57 chevy nomad 57 chevy gasser 57 chevy pro street 55 chevy photos 55 chevy parts 55 chevy truck 55 chevy pickup 55 chevy nomad 55 chevy gasser 55 chevy pro street 56 chevy photos 56 chevy parts 56 chevy truck 56 chevy pickup 56 chevy nomad 56 chevy gasser 56 chevy pro street 57 chevy photos 57 chevy parts 57 chevy truck 57 chevy pickup 57 chevy nomad 57 chevy gasser 57 chevy pro street 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad belair Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five belair Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 belair chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy belair 57 chevy 1955 Chevy belair 1956 Chevybelair 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy belair 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five belair Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy belair 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy belair 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five Tri5 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy 1955 Chevy 1956 Chevy 1957 Chevy Bel Air 210 150 and Nomad Tri-5 Tri-five 55chevy 55 chevy pictures 55 chevy parts 55 chevy truck 55 chevy pickup 57 chevy 55 chevy nomad 55 chevy gasser 55 chevy pro street Searches related to 57chevy 57 chevy pictures 57 chevy 57 chevy truck 57 chevy parts 57 chevy pickup 57 chevy nomad 1957 chevy Tri5