Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

RHD vin tag

21K views 44 replies 16 participants last post by  MCB1 
#1 ·
There`s been good discussion on how the original US vintag was originally mounted vertically and spot welded into position.

What has caught the eye of a few members is the exported cars like to Australia has there vintags pop riveted on.

Do any RHD owners have any pics of the vintag?

Here is the diagram showing the differences.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
If so I would like to see a factory rivet job I have only seen the spot weld variety . State RE ISSUE VIN'S like Colorado have a Special Looking rivet. Not found to be available to the the public. Mike

#3 ·
I think this only applied to the local GM styles vin tags, which looks much more 'agricultural' than the US issued variants. (The number/letter stamping is pretty wild, and the tags themselves very plain.)

Could also be a difference between the CKD tags, which are definitely as I describe above, and those that came on fully imported vehicles.

#41 · (Edited)
Others have asked, but I’ll give it another go: What does Bloomfield mean? Is it Bloomfield NJ, or maybe Bloomfield Heights MI?

All I get from Google is:

#8 ·
In addition to the tags visual, Can anyone tell me if the Aussie delivered cars had the vin stamped on the chassis as per our USA counterparts?
I have a mate in Qld that has lost the tags (bitter divorce and have been misplaced), He has a photo of one of them from under the bonnet (hood) but not vin and needs them for a roadworthy and registration.
Anyone tell me where if at all they can be reproduced.. Its for a 4 door sedan 210.
Cheers and thanks for any info..

#9 ·
I have seen vin & cowl tags reproduced and available.
As far as I know its illegal to re stamp a vin tag, but you can buy a blank go figure.

If your buddy has an original RHD, the tags were extremely crude, very easy to redo without telling it was redone.

If he has an import and still has a copy of the import papers the vin code is on those papers.

I do believe that the chassis was stamped, an angled mirror may show something, look around the top side of the rail under the drivers seat.

Forgot to mention maybe somebody wrecking a 4 dr 210 in the states could send the tags if that not breaking any laws :)

#13 ·
I do believe that the chassis was stamped, an angled mirror may show something, look around the top side of the rail under the drivers seat.
Like Des says, you don't need a mirror to view if it is an original RHD chassis.

But the numerals can be difficult to determine – if not stamped hard, or weathered over time.

Testing my memory, but there will be a letter at the start of the chassis number indicating the city (Australian) of assembly.

#16 ·
Here is a photo of the Aussie vin tag and an Aussie body tag for a 57 sedan.
I have blanked out the vin # sequence, but it is 6 numbers starting with 2. The vin tag was screwed to the door jamb, and not welded like the US ones.
It is 3 1/4 " long by 1 1/4" and is similar to other tags provided by GMH over the years from the 1930s.

Mouse - these tags are available if your Qld mate needs them.

Cheers, Des

#33 ·
Here is a photo of the Aussie vin tag and an Aussie body tag for a 57 sedan.
I have blanked out the vin # sequence, but it is 6 numbers starting with 2. The vin tag was screwed to the door jamb, and not welded like the US ones.
It is 3 1/4 " long by 1 1/4" and is similar to other tags provided by GMH over the years from the 1930s.

Mouse - these tags are available if your Qld mate needs them.

Cheers, Des

I have just purchased an Australian RH drive and was wondering how you decode them cheers, they look just like the ones in the pic.

#18 ·
Dean
1019 is the GM model # for a 210 4 door sedan.
The HM # - not positive, but I think someone has posted before that it is a Holden body #
The taped over # R 2***** is the Holden engine and chassis #. As mentioned earlier, I have seen a few chassis stamped with this # on the outer rail near the idler arm bolts. The Aussie handbook shows that the engine # and chassis # are the same.

Cheers, Des

#23 ·
#24 ·
There’s a number stamped onto my Melbourne-made ‘57 RHD frame ... behind the front l/h wheel. Maybe plants about the country did them differently.

#26 ·
For CKDs – frames were made here. Also seat upholstery was made here – because they were all leather!

#29 ·
Of course there were some small exceptions.
All of the CKDs would have been the same spec, excepting any dealer add-ons, like a heater.

But yeah, the lower number of fully imported cars were a different set of specs.

#28 · (Edited)
CKD means 'knock down kit' doesn't it? Implying to me that *most parts* to build the car were supplied by Chevrolet to Australia as a 'kit' for assembly there, so the sheet metal and small parts were delivered to AUS in 'kit form'? It would be very interesting to see the 'form' of the kit delivered to AUS...

Do any of you there have a photo of such a kit?? (ie. before assembly)?

#30 ·
CKD means 'knock down kit' doesn't it?
CKD stands for Complete Knock Down.

My seats were leather, and strangely enough it also had a bolt through the B pillar that mounted the upper seat belt, which was also used on some early Holdens

#37 ·
Great reference.

Do we know which of the Holden colours were put to the Chevy in these years? (Am guessing not all.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.