Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Classic Insurance Discounts

7K views 22 replies 15 participants last post by  Roger Walling 
#1 ·
I am trying to do my homework before purchasing a classic insurance policy so I am getting multiple quotes before choosing. They are all roughly the same price so I plan to choose based on customer service, reputation and perks. So far Geico (American Modern) is the leader since they have a good price and perks like spare parts and some other standard services. They lose some points because when I called I was transferred to the classic department and never reached anyone so I did the online quote. They offer a discount for belonging to eligible car clubs but don't give specifics. Does anyone know if the Tri-five club qualifies us for discounts with any of these companies? It was substantially lower when I indicated I was in a club.

I figured I would call all of them rather than just quote online since I'm more likely to need advice on this policy than my standard auto policy. So far the ONLY company that was easy to reach a human was Grundy.

I am also waiting for a quote from State Farm through my local agent.

Any experience good or bad or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Toby

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

See less See more
#2 ·
I'll bump this back to the top for you and give my 2 cents. I started with Hagerty many years ago but year after year they kept raising the premium. So then a friend told me about Grundy and they were half the price of Hagerty and have a good reputation. I have been with them for over 10 years now and the only real price increase is the agreed value that increases with inflation. I've never had to use them (thankfully) so I'm still with them. Remember it's hard to compare rates between States but I would recommend either Grundy or Hagerty.

#4 ·
Read through the threads in the "classic insurance forum". I would not buy insurance based solely on price. Also make sure you get an "agreed value policy". Not all of them offer that. I have had Grundy on mine since getting it back on the road in 2010.
Terry

#5 ·
I have American Collectors Ins. Got it through my local agent where I have my regular ins. per his suggestion. I have called them direct about a new vehicle to insure and I did get a live person right away. So far no claims, but agreed value policy with some perks. I now have four classic vehicles with them and happy with their rates.

#6 ·
Thanks, I am going to try American Collector also then. They are not doing too well so far when their page crashed on me while trying to get a quote, lol. I have literally called every provider today that I know of and I'm shocked so far with the poor service and horrible customer interface. We'll see how it goes.

#7 ·
The verdict is in. Went with local State Farm agent. Price was between Grundy and the others but she calls and emails me after hours and no mileage restrictions and gave me the agreed value I asked for. Excited to be fully covered, now to deal with the DMV, aargh!

#8 ·
The only one that I know gives a discount is Heacock, one of the sponsors of the TriFive Nationals, and that is for members of American TriFive Association. You can find their ad in the monthly magazine.

State Farm does "agreed value"? News to me, they used to have one that sounded like that but wasn't the same.

#10 ·
Morning! I see that the OP has decided on their insurance, however, we would like to throw our name in the hat too!

Check us out at ncminsurance.com. We will gladly give a discount to members of the American TriFive Association.

We offer Agreed Value protection, flexible mileage plans, deductible choices from $0 - $10,000 and almost anything in-between, spare parts coverage, $10 Nationwide Roadside Assistance, etc.

We would love to work with you all!

Adam

#14 ·
Be careful with on line quotes. I have been with hagerty for years and got an on line quote from Grundy which was a lot cheaper, however the quote changed drastically when I talked to a real person and did a line for line comparison. I stayed with Hagerty

#17 ·
I got a quick quote from the company in post 12 and it was 2.6 times more than Grundy for the same coverage. I will stick with Grundy

#18 ·
The online quote tool is a good start, however, we have MANY more available options over the site. It is seriously worthwhile giving us a call. Our team is in the office today as we have a Corvette Event here at the National Corvette Museum.

Adam Boca

#21 ·
What are these so called "perks"? Nothing is free. Evaluate their true value relative to what you pay.

Be really careful when dealing with regular insurance companies like State Farm, Geico, etc. Unless they have changed the policies offered, they only offer "state value" policies, not "agreed value" policies. There is a huge difference in what they will pay out if you have a substantial claim or a total loss. "Agreed value" will pay that value regrardless, "stated value" will pay at a heavy discount to the stated value. This may extend to smaller claims too. READ all the old threads carefully.

Discounts? Collector car insurance is a bargain. Opt instead for the best coverage relative to what you pay. I think that's a different frame of mind, and as it should be IMO. The only discounts in insurance are multiple policy discounts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.