Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Rear Ac Duct

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  trifives 
#1 ·
Would like to know if anyone has ideas/pictures on routing the middle AC duct to the back for a rear ac duct?

#2 ·
You could run it through a console if you are installing a console. You could also have a false rise on your tunnel and hide it in there untill it gets under the seat. That's all for now.
Josh

#3 ·
That would all depend. As Josh said if you are installing a console run a duct under it and have it blow out the back end of the console. If you are going with a bench seat you would have to run a duct beside the trans tunnel since the seat will be close to the top of the tunnel.
Terry

#4 ·
I think that's a great idea Shawnmil, and one of the things I want to do on my nomad build (when I get going on it that is...:D)

If you have welding and fabrication skills, you could make a duct that would lay ontop of the center hump and hug it towards the back. Assuming you have bucket seats and a console in mind to cover it all up...

Anyone got some pics of that?

These tri-5's need cold air in the back too. :cool:

Paul

#5 ·
No pics, but if you look at most any van, mini van, Tahoe, Suburban, and the like, they have a/c and heater outlets placed well for passenger comfort.

I think that how you might route these is going to be dependent on what you have for seats and console. Consider that the side outlets for the a/c up front are just 2-1/2" round. You could make a rectangular duct of a similar size that's flat and wide.

The other thing to consider is a rear air unit like on Suburbans and big vans. You can run two evaporators from one compressor - the factory does. You could use a small universal unit from VA, etc. or even a factory unit. There's got to be lots of ways to mount that in a wagon. Or in the trunk of a regular car. In the 50s some of the Caddys and similar cars had the evaporator in the trunk behind the back seat. You could use dual air or a single unit and run the ducts forward. Lots of ways to do this, though some could get complicated quickly.

#6 ·
WOW.. That's cool.. No pun intended. :p

I have rear ducts on two of my cars and never thought about doing it to the '55.. that's until now.. :D

I can't wait to until I replace my suspension so I can install a sb v8 & 4 speed tranny so I can install a/c then run rear ducts. :D

Boy, this can get expensive.. and I thought off-roading was expensive.. :cool:

E

#7 ·
Vintage air hangs low :(

Not planning on going with buckets... I like the bench seat up front. So will have to figure out a way to run beside the tran tunnel or get a new evap for the trunk. Speaking of the evaporator. I just installed my vintage air under the dash and I am disappointed at how far it sticks down under the dash? Anyone do anything about this?

#8 ·
Shawn from what i have seen and read they are all going to stick below the dash somewhat. Some have built lower dash covers to help hide it and to give a cleaner look.
Terry

#9 · (Edited)
The Vintage Air Kit is definately the kit that is the MOST hidden & cleanest look.
From my research, the Classic Air & Hot Rod Air kits hang down below the dash much further than the Vintage Air Kits.
Please, somebody correct me if I'm wrong. I've been researching this before I buy a kit for my '57 2dr wagon.

I was planning on buying one of those clip on fans that you plug into the lighter to get the cool air to move to the back. My car is a driver though & not a show car. ( & I'm cheap )

Great Post too! One of the reasons I bought a wagon rather than a car was so my dogs could come along on cruises. Gotta keep the puppies cool too!:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.