Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

** Fire Extinguisher

5K views 18 replies 15 participants last post by  Dragsix 
#1 ·
I want to put a fire extinguisher in the inside of my car. These are old cars now and I don't want any trouble. I have essentially stock type interior, that is stock carpeting, no console, bench seat, although I do have a Hurst floor shifter. For those of you who have installed fire extinguishers in their cars, how did you attach them and where did you put them?

#2 ·
The best location I found to be at the base of the B pillar, drivers side, accesable and don't have a lot of people climbing into the back seat (2door).
I think in the trunk or engine compartment is risky by delaying access.
Jim

#3 ·
#7 ·
Strapped in my trunk!:tu

#8 ·
Could ya mount it on trans tunnel next to passengers feet ? Should be outta the way and look like it belongs sorta speak..... I also keep a 5’x6’ roll of fire blanket in trunk but if on the road I’ll throw it in the cab on the seat.

Reason being for the blanket just to smother and not deal with the messy chemical...... for the gas style their pricey and if it’s a big fuel flame better stay calm and get the right spot targeted she can go fast.....I’m still mindful of my 66c10 fire in the barn Not a good thing, and I wasted all coolant for motor to control the blaze after extinguisher petered out. All safe but scary stuff!
Wool Textile Thread Tire Room

#13 ·
Bill....The reason I say not in the trunk or under the hood is two fold....One; it may not be where you need it, and two, at my age, if its not in view, I may forget where it is in an emergency.

#14 · (Edited)
Originally I was looking for a AMEREX.
(They are only available through a dealer)
So I went with this model from Summit.
(JEGS has the same one ).
Summit is close to home, overnight ground delivery.

Got to be chrome. 🙂
Right now it is rolling around in the front passenger side floorboard. It will get mounted to the trans tunnel eventually.

#19 · (Edited)
Thank you every one for the thoughts and ideas. You make me build my car better then I would do on my own, lol.

How is that mounted oldusafmsgt? I had not thought of right next to the shifter. Under the seat is also a possibility but the grand kids are still little and like to go for a ride and I have the seat all the way back so I have to move it for them.

Thanks John, I think I like the chrome too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.