Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

4L80E choice to use

4K views 36 replies 10 participants last post by  BO185 
#1 ·
I have decided on a 4L80E for my 55, with a big block. I have a chance to buy and am looking at a military surplus 4L80E out of a Humvee or Hummer as the add says. It is with out the top bell housing bolt but has the cooler lines far apart as I heard these are more desirable. Just want thoughts or input on using a transmission that is a military surplus. I know I would need a slip yolk
Thank you

#2 ·
I would avoid it. One its probable an early one (not ideal) and two being surplus means it was beat on. The early ones 91-92 had different internal harness yes can be changed but get as new of one you can find as it will have better parts.

I would look for a 97 and newer, better internals and they updated other stuff.

#5 ·
Can't help you with your tranny question Sam, but it sure is good to see you back here.

The military has a pretty rigid replacement schedule, so you might be okay with one of those. I've gotten some pretty good military battery pull outs before.
Good luck with it.

#11 ·
the price on the one posted is cheaper than most core charges. yes it is a 4x4 unit but that could be fixed at rebuild.

#12 ·
Dan Good to hear from you. Ive been laying low, Divorce has been a burden on me so I am trying to get the car project going again.
As far as the trans, I will be patient, I was at first gonna try and get it to finish re weld in a new position for the rear cross member.
Thank you Jt

#13 ·
Sorry man, and I knew nothing about that. Last I heard you guys had bought a 'new to you' house. Many of us have been through that mess before, so don't feel all alone.

Good luck with your tranny purchase. If you can, save up some more coin and buy a new one set up just the way you want it. That BBC you're building is going to have some power, so put some good stuff behind it. You'll be miles ahead in the end.

#14 ·
I picked one up tonight, a core 4L80E out of a Van. Its a 2007, of course needs to be gone thru but 1 was able to get it for 185.00. No cracks on the case. It has top bolt hole on the bell housing. More desirable Ive heard especially for LS. I have a 454, Now little by little get some parts for it. It is non 4x4.

#17 · (Edited)
My friend, a Transmission re-builder told me he pays 150.00 at Pick a Part, They are rare birds though since most of the GM trucks and Suburbans Tahoes etc are 1500 with 4L60Es
For me it was easy this way to not have to go to a wrecking yard and do it, I believe they charge more If they pull it as opposed to you removing it yourself.
Most of the ones Ive seen on LetGo or Craigslist are 4 to 5 hundred. In most cases you would have it gone through anyway.
As far as help Tony, you are on your own or you and your buddies. If they help,( the wrecking yard) they charge.
Are you looking for one?

#18 ·
Oh don't get me wrong, I'd gladly pay $185 for one and not deal with pull a part. They are an hour drive away and then like you said the tranny's are rare. There is no phone number to call and ask. Also there is a truck or two load of guys who have special access before they open the gates, so that lowers the chances even more.

You know I just thought of something, my gal's work dumps their old vans there when they are shot and don't get much for them, maybe I can swing a deal to get a 4L80E for the next mini van they unload there? It's worth a try!

#20 ·
Any GM full size 2500/3500 van. The 95-02 will have 4L80. The 6.5L and 6.6L diesel (used later) will have a lower stall. The 2003-2009 will have the LS 4l80's as well. The 2010-up are the 6L90's. The 4L85 (same basic trans) was used in some applications above as well. It has better internals and straight cut gears. Some RV's used these transmissions as well.

The 4L80 only came in trucks, SUV's, and fullsize vans in the US. They were used in higher end cars in Great Britain.

#23 · (Edited by Moderator)
The 4l85e does make a some noise in the lower gears if I remember right it mostly first & second not real bad though I’ll sure use it.I think the only thing you have to make sure of is that the converter is correct if you aren’t doing a ls Not sure whether the ls version has the one bolt missing or not on the 4l80e but if it does that’s not a problem

#24 ·
Its louder but if you have a decent exhaust sound you won’t hear the difference.

All versions have the waffle pattern. Easy way to id them the early 90’s version has cooling lines right next to each other toward front. Later ones don’t the cooling lines are much farther apart with the input toward rear of case. Then LS ones starting in 99 have top mount bolt cast. Now later around 2000 all 80’s were top bolt cast. One way to tell an LS is the shifter rod is long sticks out of cast. Also the later ones used a cast AL lower cover vs the stamp steel one. This attaches it to the LS oil pan.

Ideally I would want a 99-up. So if it has a top bolt its a good one to get. The early 90’s ones till 95 have the pooer design case and cooling lines.

#28 ·
Ideally I would want a 99-up. So if it has a top bolt its a good one to get. The early 90’s ones till 95 have the pooer design case and cooling lines.
What do you mean by the poorer case? Is it prone to cracking? My BBC certainly doesn't need the top bolt but I guess you never know what may be to come someday, especially if I'd like for my grandson to be able to drive it and take it to a garage to have it serviced. LOL

#29 ·
Yes thats the whole reason I posted how to ID them, listed in my post above if you know the year of the van you know what 4L80 you have easy enough. Poor case means in how the cooling lines are places. Since there are different cases for this as I mentioned. Again the better case is the later one as described due to the cooling line input is moved to rear pinion location giving better lube flow. But GM used a white tag with the ID on it it gives year and model used in a 4 digit code. Most times these are missing hence how to visually ID them.

Since the better one is a 1995-up. And top bolt started in 99, there were littly millions more made hence more likely to find one of those. Plus GM updated internal parts over the years this mean newer the better. If one is rebuilding with good parts then of course it does matter as you’re upgrading it anyway. With out the top bolt on an LS you only have 5 bolts used, yes not that big a deal but for those reading that have an LS get one with a top bolt is the point.

#32 ·
I have a 4L60E with 1000 miles on it, a 4L70E newly rebuilt by trans shop either one for $600. Finally decided on the 4L80E Factory crate behind my LS3 525 application.
Phil
434-942-8076 or pjonesZ5@yahoo.com
neither are a smart choice behind a big block. the torque tears them up quick.

#36 ·
Usually over heating issues, OD failure, and rear planetary issues, some of the ones with the fwd inputs did have a internal passage to the rear but in 97-98 IIR they physically moved the port. If its been rebuilt and is qulity rebuild with higher line pressures should be fine.

Most the failures were in heavy trucks so not so much HP vs heat built from towing heavy alot.

#35 · (Edited)
Someone on craigslist in the entire surrounding area must buy them up as soon as they show up, then rebuilds them and resells them. Can't find one closer than 3.5 hours drive. I just put an email into pull a part asking what it would cost for them to pull one and load it for me, if they will do it. You can't just call them and ask about a part or they would have to hire 10 or so people to handle the phones all day just to answer "I don't know if we have that part". The other thing, it's almost an hour from me, most of it going 80mph on a 70mph hyw., so it's a good drive to just go look and see if they have any and find nothing. I did get a tip on one, but like I said, it's 3.5 hours away. Great price, I don't know why it's been on craigslist for a month already?? Good case, lines far apart. Tons of others even further away from me. May have to decide whether it's worth spending a complete day or more getting one, or paying for a rebuilt one, then again, they usually don't say online that the price is with a core... If I get one, I can leave the 4:10 gears in it. Or if I go back to the 3:42's and get the 4L80E, I will really be rolling down the highway at low rpm. I'll have to do the math.

#37 ·
That's the problem with most wrecking yards is they want the core or more so money they get selling it for scrap.

Call local wrecking yards and see if they have a core 4L80 it, if you can get through the mouth breathers on the phone. Usually pay $100-200 for a good core maybe more. One trick is to call and ask for a "good" for 4L80 and see what the core charge is then call back later and ask if they have cores and try to get it for the same price.

www.car-part.com use 99-05 GM 2500hd or 3500hd truck with 6.0L gas. Will list yards local to you by part and by distance some even have prices.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.