Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Auto city classics install issue

5K views 62 replies 17 participants last post by  thomas.parker197 
#1 ·
Got the water pump replaced today and tried to install the new radiator in the v8 position. There wasn't much clearance with the old radiator, but now the lower support is hung on a fan blade [emoji22] . I cant get it all the way down onto the lower support. Any thoughts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

#45 ·
Yes. It helped. Thank you.

So the new pump, fan, hoses, clamps, and radiator are all installed.

Just need to reconnect the battery and install the petcock on the radiator, fill with coolant and hope I can get it to start again.

I will update with pictures tomorrow.

Thank to everyone for your help!

P.S. Bruce was 100% right, no need for a spacer.

#46 ·
I know you said that you weren't going to use a spacer but if you're not using a shroud then the most forward part of the fan needs to be anywhere 1/2 in. to maximum 1in. to the rear of the radiator. The fan can be further aft. if you want but on a hot summer day and some stop and go traffic you may see the eng. temp climb up due to slow air flow thru the radiator fins. Hope this helps,good luck. Bob :bowtieb:

#49 ·
Update

So here is the update. I got everything back together with no coolant leaks. Okay, well a drop out of the petcock. But I think it just needs to be slightly tightened. Tstat seems to be functioning—I used 160 degree at Bruce's recommendation, the summit racing fan I posted pics of earlier.
I would be ready to hit the road, BUT the transmission cooler line on the passenger's side has a fairly significant little leak. I have taken the brass fitting of the nipple and tightened it, but no luck. I have the steel prebent lines from danchuck—the op installed them and left the sticker on. They were absolutely fine before I installed the new radiator. Should there be a rubber seal or anyone know of any other tricks to get this to stop leaking.
As you will be able to see from the pics, I don't have a ton of clearance between the radiator and the fan.
Thank again to everyone that helped me out on this.

Attachments

#50 ·
Try and determine where the fluid is coming from.

Between the fitting and the radiator = Remove fitting and use some liquid Permatex Teflon pipe sealer.

Between the nipple and the nut on the line = Push the nut back as far as you can to inspect the end of the steel line. It should be a double flare. I have had the flare split, and the more you tighten the nut the worse it may get. Fix may be to replace the line. If that is not the problem, use some of the liquid Permatex Teflon on the threads of the nipple and it may seal

#51 ·
The leak is definitely coming from the connection between the line and the nipple.

Installed the fitting in the radiator with permatex to start with. Already used permatex on the threads of then nipple as well.. Still no luck.

I need to inspect the flare next. I may just not be tightening it enough. I tend to under tighten.

#57 ·
Good afternoon, everyone, yes, I am reviving an old thread. I noticed this morning that the aluminum radiator that I installed back in 2017 is not weeping. Is this normal? Are the parts really that poorly made?

I guess I am looking for another alternative. Want something stock appearing that will last a little bit longer this time!

#58 ·
Good afternoon, everyone, yes, I am reviving an old thread. I noticed this morning that the aluminum radiator that I installed back in 2017 is not weeping. Is this normal? Are the parts really that poorly made?

I guess I am looking for another alternative. Want something stock appearing that will last a little bit longer this time!
I have a Cold Case radiator.

Only at Cold-Case Radiators® will you see not only a Lifetime Warranty, but also a 60 Day COOL Guarantee. If your Cold-Case Radiator® doesn't keep your car or truck cooler than your previous radiator, send it back for a refund.

#60 ·
I think I may go with that. Does it fit in the stock location without issue?
Yes, I have two of them...One in a 55 in the V8 position and one in a 55 in the 6 Cyl position

Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.