Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Crunch time

6K views 37 replies 10 participants last post by  Carmine2 
#1 ·
Hi everyone. I think I might have found a car to put my 265 engine in. I don't know how to transfer the link, but the car is listed in Hemmings ad #2322429.
It's a '55 vert and the asking price is $55,000.00. I've been in contact with the owner both by email, text messages and telephone. The biggest fault I can see with the car, is paint. He admittedly said it looks good from a distance, but is not show quality. Some of the white is flaking/peeling and the red on the hood needs attention. It's about a 20 year old restoration. The wide whites are also about 20 years old and should be replaced. Other then that, the way he describes the car in the narrative is the way it appears to be, seen through pics.
I hired a professional inspection company to examine this car. From what I was sent, the inspection is going to be done today, Saturday, Oct. 19th. A written review/report/pics, won't be available until next week. Depending what the report states, will determine whether or not I travel to Liverpool, NY, about 6 hrs. from me, to look at the car myself. If you want, take a look at the car and tell me your thoughts. Time is getting short to make a decision. Thank you, Carmine.

#4 ·
#9 · (Edited by Moderator)
My first car looked just like that, same condition. I bought it in !961 for $200.
I always wished I had put it away just like I bought it, but of course, nobody looked at these cars as collectible.

Dangerous Joe :viking:
I know the feeling Joe, all too well.
I hate to say this, but my very first car was a '55 Chevy convertible. White bottom, black top and red interior. Power everything. It had a cracked block, overheated and was towed off an interstate. The owner gave it to the tow guy for the bill. This is the part I hate. I bought it for $52.00. I was only 15 at the time and my mother raised all kinds of hell with me for buying it. Sickens me when I think about it in comparison to now. I tried fixing the block. Whether I did or not, I don't really know. Sold it a few months later for $90.00, Carmine.

#10 ·
Hi everyone. Well, I hired an inspection company, Lemon Squad, to examine and review this car. They did this on Saturday and I got the report yesterday. They gave a narrative, their opinion, findings and 359 pictures. Yes, that's 359 pics. I was pretty impressed with the way they went about it. Described everything that you were looking at in re. to the good, bad and ugly. They used some type of magnet that measures the strength of it's attachment to the metal/area it is attached to, in search of bondo. No issues with this although, in some areas, it wasn't quite as strong. To sum things up, this car needs a complete paint job. It is certainly a solid car with minimal surface rust in some areas. But, I've never seen paint peel, crack and flake like this. The white is especially bad in some areas. The red is not much better on the hood and one fender. The paint would have to be stripped down to bare metal. The body appears to be very straight.
This car is worthy of having a quality paint job. Problem is, it's not known what is underneath the paint which can certainly affect the paint cost. I would think that $12-$15 thousand would be a fair estimate, but who really knows. And it needs new tires at about $1100.00. Those are the two biggest expenses.
I have read the report and looked at all 359 pics, 3 times. I haven't spoken with the owner yet, but his asking price is $55,000.00. I would never entertain that. The final purchase, expense and work involved, collectively, would be more then I would ever consider investing. He may or may not be firm at that price. I don't know but will later today.
There is another car on Hemmings which is also a '55 vert with similar colors.
It's ad #2114081. Sorry, I can't link it. This car is the gold standard , where the bar is set for me. This car is beautifully restored from top to bottom. Detailed meticulously. Even has some paint marks on the coil springs to mimic factory markings. His asking price is $65,000.00, which he is firm at and I can understand that. This car needs nothing that I can see. The reason I have no interest in this, is not so much the money, although that is a big consideration, but moreso the fact I could never keep this car in that pristine condition. That's not something I want to do. So, I use this car and price to compare against all others, which includes the one I am looking at. Guess I'll see where this takes me later, Carmine.

#11 ·
#14 ·
Thanks for that link, but that is a '57. I would like a '55. While looking for a '55, I was amazed at how many '57 verts there are out there. They seem reasonably priced. I think there are more of them then the '55's. I wouldn't rule them out all together, but first I want to concentrate on a '55, Carmine.

#15 ·
The owner, who is a very nice guy, is pretty firm at his price. He said I could make an offer, but I declined. I don't want to offend him. I had to rationalize the final investment when the dust settles. I would probably have more in it then the one in the above thread, which needs nothing that I can see. So, that's it for now. It's been a good experience looking at and researching '55 Chevys, especially the convertibles. I haven't given up and will continue on. If anyone comes across something, kindly send me the link or info. I'd appreciate it. I always like to look. Thanks, Carmine.

#22 ·
#27 ·
1955 Chevy Bel Air Convertible. Older restoration I would call it driver condition it's not a perfect car but presentable driver. 350 V8 engine runs good turbo 350 automatic transmission. Bumper guards, bumper wrap arounds, Fender trim and rocker molding, gas door and knuckle guards,and fender skirts. Wide white walls. Blue and white with blue interior. Power top. If interested send PM and can send more pics and video. $44500 Greensboro NC can help set up shipping.

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.ne...=a135a28cf18ecaaaabce76d7ffef1504&oe=5E195664

#30 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.