Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Confused Need Help- tired of googling

2K views 13 replies 14 participants last post by  rayharris 
#1 ·
First off no judging.....

Thinking of building a nice "mom" ride for the wife. Originally thought that the 4 door tri-5's larger wheelbase and consequently more room than the 2 door. I believe that I am wrong in that thought. Hell is there any difference other than the shape of the seats between a 2dr and a 4dr???

Presuming I am wrong in the first thought, has anyone ever tried to modify rear seat by moving back? I presume one could make a narrower seat similar to what one occasionally see's in the wagons/nomads?

Last thought was, presuming a back seat is even large enough for a car seat, has anyone ever made rear suicide doors for ease of access? I mean when in rome right?

Any help appreciated

#2 ·
You can build almost anything you want if you have the $$. The 4 doors and wagons have the same wheelbase as the 4 doors, so you won't gain any wheelbase by going to a 4 door.
The seat are the same size in the 4 door and 2 door, of course the 2 door has a split front seat. I have seen car seats in many tri fives, all you need to add is seat belts.
Build what you want, you are only limited by money, then drive it and enjoy it. :flag6:

#3 ·
If you need access to the back for a child seat a 4 door will be better. Add the three point belts and you will be good. Everything else is the same, chassis, seats, etc., as Nitro said.
Just remember, there are no air bags, side impact beams, or belly button styling. The car will get noticed on the road. :)
Mark

#5 ·
Back seat in my hdt is totally worthless except for kids and they better be small and agile. forget about a car seat in mine. Little sleeker profile only if parked side by side. Check out Gearhead :):bowtier:Jakes 56 4dr, awesome.

#8 ·
You wife and her passengers would love a red convertible.

#9 · (Edited)
Totally agree with the getting into the back seat is very difficult. But i am sorry,what is the use of having something that your young grandchildren (carseats) can't enjoy with you? Have a friend who has a pristene Vette he told me a story a few years back that when his young grandson asked him if he could go to a car show with him he was 7-8 years old and grandpa told him he couldn't because the car seat would leave dimples in the seat, so no he couldn't go. A few years later the young man contracted cancer and died. Grandpa told me this is one of the things he regrets doing the most. So lighten up they are just CARS!!

#10 · (Edited)
I moved my seat back 2.5" so its now like a Corvette but I can move the seat up and still get kids in the back seat plus no air bag so kids can be in the front seat. I have seat belts for 4 total in the car. Beside 3 of mine drive now and one has a collector car.:bowtier:

Get as many doors as you need and have fun.

#11 ·
It would likely be alot of work moving the rear seat back depending on how much your looking to gain. You start getting into changing the seat back structure and on the bottom side the differential pig and shock mounts will come into play very quickly. Not saying it couldnt be done, just doubt it would be worth it. But personally I doubt it is necessary...you should have room in a 4 dr sedan for a car seat unless you yourself or your wife are over 6ft tall and need extra room in the front?

Suicide doors have been done and probably not that difficult but I don't see a benefit to that either. JMO.

Greg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.