Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

vibration at 1800 rpm

2K views 22 replies 7 participants last post by  Pops @ Tri-5.com 
#1 ·
57 bel air 283 4 speed. runs smooth at idle. around 1800 rpm it vibrates a bunch and gets less at higher speeds. Flywheel is p/n 3789733. Is this correct? Engine has been rebuilt, balancer replaced and still same vibration.
Ran with no balancer, still vibrates, put new balancer , still vibrates. Getting ready to replace flywheel and clutch. Don't know where else to go. I'm thinking wrong flywheel. I bought the car like this a year ago. Ray

#7 ·
Sounds to me like you should have had the rotating assembly balanced, when you had the engine rebuilt.

#11 ·
Did you ask him if he had the engine balanced?

#9 ·
#12 ·
Well, the good news is that the clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel can be removed, without having to remove the bell housing.

#14 ·
vibrates

I had the same problem with my 55 350/350. I heard everything you have heard engine out of bal, flywheel and on and on. Did everything but change engine or flywheel When I asked for Trifive help I got the same answers you did EXCEPT one reply "make sure the firewall isn't rubbing on something" you got it when I had my 700r4 installed Phoenix Trans said you won't have the vibration prob anymore I cut out a piece of metal rubbing on something( I was so excited I didn't ask what) no vibration at all at any speed.

#19 ·
:anim_25:

#23 ·
I am sooo glad for you :):congrats:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.