Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

1956 Chevy Truck - 1978 Camaro Front and Rear End

32K views 55 replies 14 participants last post by  TonyMann57 
#1 · (Edited)
I purchased a 1956 Chevy 3100 Truck. The previous owner does not know who installed the front clip or rear end.

I think the front clip and rear end are from a 1978 Camaro. I plan to drop a crate engine or LS engine later down the line. I'm also contemplating air bags all the way around.

My question is which rear end is best? I want posi traction, disc brakes and the proper gear ratio. Should I look in the scrap yards for a certain rear end that has all these built in? I would like to keep the 5 bolt pattern to maintain the same as the front if possible.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7820330912_924778c5bb_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7129/7820324284_16126d5d0b_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8421/7820303094_0ed3b01c26_b.jpg

Attachments

See less See more
#41 ·
Wrong bolts for flex-plate. I purchased some bolts from autozone and torqued them to 75lbs. That was a few months ago. When I recently started putting together the front pulleys and belts I noticed I could not turn over the engine as hard as I tried. I called the machinist and he suggested I check out the flex wheel bolts. Sure enough they were pressed up against the back of the block. I got another set this time from Oreillys and they were the same size. The old ones I have are shorter and have a different head. I checked budget bolt, which is a local bolt shop and they don't have any this short, all of theirs have hex heads and not these short half height heads. I'm not sure if that makes a difference I'm thinking of just cutting the new ones I got an using some blue Loctite with the old star washers. I'm just hoping I didn't crack the block Screw Metal Auto part Nut
Rock
Auto part Metal Steel
Auto part Metal Tool accessory
Auto part Metal Steel Rim Hardware accessory

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#43 ·
Wrong bolts for flex-plate. I purchased some bolts from autozone and torqued them to 75lbs. That was a few months ago. When I recently started putting together the front pulleys and belts I noticed I could not turn over the engine as hard as I tried. I called the machinist and he suggested I check out the flex wheel bolts. Sure enough they were pressed up against the back of the block. I got another set this time from Oreillys and they were the same size. The old ones I have are shorter and have a different head. I checked budget bolt, which is a local bolt shop and they don't have any this short, all of theirs have hex heads and not these short half height heads. I'm not sure if that makes a difference I'm thinking of just cutting the new ones I got an using some blue Loctite with the old star washers. I'm just hoping I didn't crack the block View attachment 145723 View attachment 145724 View attachment 145725 View attachment 145726 View attachment 145727

they are selling you flywheel bolts not flex plate bolts. yes you certainly could cut/ grind them to the proper length, just try not to let them get super hot, if they are turning blue that is too hot.

#45 ·
My friend traded my a 700r4 for some computer work. So I got this TH475 I'll leave alone until I need it. The 700r4 has the over drive in looking for. My problem is the flexplate I have doesn't bolt up to this torque converter that came with the 700r4 which has three bolts. My torque converter that came with the TH475 has six bolts and they do not lineup to my new flex-plate, how do I make this work can I use my old torque converter with the 700r4 or will I need to buy a different flexplate?

#47 ·
you will have to search for a 454 flexplate with the right pattern the 454 th475 flexplate has a different bolt pattern due to the 6 bolt torque converter. an earlier 454 flexplate might have the standard dual bolt pattern . try finding one for a 454 chevelle. that is the lighter duty version. not the heavy truck one you have now.

#53 ·
78 Camaro front disc brakes and 98 Ford Explorer disc brakes

I picked up some 78 Camaro front end brake hoses. For the front end what do I use to mount the soft line to a hard line? I've seen pictures where there is a bracket that mounts to the frame and that is where the soft line meets the hard line but I do not have that. I searched a local scrap yard and couldn't find a match for my frame.

The rear end is from a 98 Ford Explorer. The driver side has a place that connects the driver side to the passenger side and a third connection which is broken in the attached picture. I'm guessing it connects to the main hard line which would go to the master cylinder. Should I just go to autozone and get a replacement or search for a better one?

How do I match up the 78 Camaro front disc brakes to the 98 Ford Explorer disc brakes with a master cylinder?

Attachments

#54 ·
I picked up some 78 Camaro front end brake hoses. For the front end what do I use to mount the soft line to a hard line? I've seen pictures where there is a bracket that mounts to the frame and that is where the soft line meets the hard line but I do not have that. I searched a local scrap yard and couldn't find a match for my frame.

The rear end is from a 98 Ford Explorer. The driver side has a place that connects the driver side to the passenger side and a third connection which is broken in the attached picture. I'm guessing it connects to the main hard line which would go to the master cylinder. Should I just go to autozone and get a replacement or search for a better one?

How do I match up the 78 Camaro front disc brakes to the 98 Ford Explorer disc brakes with a master cylinder?

I found the canary front end brackets for the hoses on Camaro Central. Now I gotta hardline the brake line to the soft line.

#56 ·
I purchased a 1956 Chevy 3100 Truck. The previous owner does not know who installed the front clip or rear end.

I think the front clip and rear end are from a 1978 Camaro. I plan to drop a crate engine or LS engine later down the line. I'm also contemplating air bags all the way around.

My question is which rear end is best? I want posi traction, disc brakes and the proper gear ratio. Should I look in the scrap yards for a certain rear end that has all these built in? I would like to keep the 5 bolt pattern to maintain the same as the front if possible.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8287/7820330912_924778c5bb_b.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7129/7820324284_16126d5d0b_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8421/7820303094_0ed3b01c26_b.jpg
I think If you want the best I would go with a 12 bolt rear, I had a 55 GMC 2nd series, and it had a 12 blt posi from a 68 Impala and it fit perfect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.