Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

CCP500 Gear box return line leaking

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  fielddad 
#1 ·
Just got my car running last week and saw a small leak on the return line at the gear box. I was using a donor car return fitting then to rubber trans. hose to the PS pump. I changed the line at the gear box to a new brake line 45* double flare and have retighten it and still have a small leak. Question I have is this the correct fitting or dose it require a different fitting at the box? Or has anyone else had this problem with this connection? Pressure lines are no problem used an adaptor and converted them to AN6 lines.

#5 ·
So is a inverted flare different from a double flare? Pressure line is good return line is leaking. The first time I used a return line from a donor car and a 3/8 rubber hose, it leaked at the gear box. The second time I used a 3/8 brake line and rubber hose and it leaks too. What is weird they both leak after the car is off. I still have threads showing when the fitting is tight so not running out of threads. I have tightened it very tight still no luck.

#6 ·
Still having trouble with this? leaking with engine off?

quick fix: NAPA in their Temp line of A/C stuff has dead soft copper conical washers meant to fix seeping A/C fittings. I've used them for A/C, brakes and fuel successfully. There may be some microscopic flaw in the flare seat in the box that causing this. Works for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.