Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

CPP Rear Disc Emergency Cable Issue

6K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Belair-o 
#1 ·
Hi,
I went to install the emergency brake cable for my CPP rear disc brakes on my 57 Chevy (stock rear end). It looks to me like the two shielded segments of the emergency cable are each too long by about 4". Per directions I found at CCI, I attached ends of the shielded segments to the e-brake brackets on the calipers, but to install the other end of the shielded segments to the frame cable brackets, I will have to put a big loop in the shielded segments, and if I do that, then the cable won't reach the front yoke. I measured the length of the shielded segments, and they are each about 29-1/8" long. Hope you understand my description. Hope I was just provided the wrong cable. Any advice?
Thanks, Doug

#2 ·
You are right I've got one From cpp and compared it to the original e-brake and it was four inches longer . I put that with the rest of stuff that wrong , am order different cables from someone else ! I am being to think they do not care if it fit are not all they care about is the $$$ I'd pay extra for a good part that fit not junk that won't fit a VW . Later Jason

#6 ·
Hi Jason, thanks for finding that thread:
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showpost.php?p=187840&postcount=25

That is helpful, thanks for finding that! I had considered doing something similar, using the shorter shielded segments from the original cable, and the new cable from CPP - the article you cited shows me how to make that happen.

I am thinking, since I have everything hooked up to the calipers (it was a bear for my arthritic hands to get the springs on the e-brake bracket on the caliper), I may leave it as is, and extend the rod the yoke attaches to, so it will work. I have a coupling nut, and length of all-thread on order, off of e-bay. I will post back.
Thanks, Doug

#11 ·
Well, on my 57, The shielded portion of the e-brake cable does fit between the brackets on the caliper and the frame, by putting in a big s-curve. The curve is so big, that I found some stainless steel zip-ties to attach the shielded cables to the frame, so the s-curve doesn't migrate over and touch the tire, or the muffler. IMHO, the shielded portion is too long. As a consequence of so much of the cable being eaten up by the s-curve, the cable won't reach the yoke. I checked the stock e-brake cable, and the shielded portion of the cable is too short to span between the caliper and frame brackets(drat). To make CPP's e-brake cable work, I am going to try using a coupler nut, and some all-thread, to extend the yoke assembly, so I can get the cable on the yoke.

#12 ·
e-brake cable connects now

As I had mentioned in my last post, so much of the CPP rear disc e-brake cable is eaten up by the s-curve needed to fit the shielded portion of the cable between mounting points on the caliper and frame, so the cable won't reach the yoke.
To make CPP's e-brake cable work, I cut off most of the old threaded portion of the yoke connector, added a coupler nut, and some all-thread, to extend the assembly. That ended up looking like the following, which allows the cable assembly to connect up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.