Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

CPP 25 gal gas tank

36K views 47 replies 24 participants last post by  hemiuk 
#1 ·
Has anyone tried the new 25 gal gas tank from cpp yet.

I just saw it on ebay, says that it will fit even with the spare tire well and not hang below car etc.

I am thinking of buying one for my 57.

I was wondering if my currently fuel sending unit will work, or does it need a special unit etc.

Otis:)

Here is the info from the ebay add

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1955...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

WOW GUYS HERE IS THE GAS TANK THE WHOLE WORLD HAS BEEN TALKING ABOUT! A 25 GALLON ALUMINUM GAS TANK FOR YOUR 55-56-57 Chevy Fullsize Car.NOW YOU CAN GO ANYWHERE YOU WANT WITH THE HELP FROM CPP!(PART#5557AGT-25)

Here's the scenario: You've been wrenching on your 1955-57 Chevy all winter long with the goal to long-haul the Hot Rod Power Tour. The A/C is charge, cup holders have been installed, and your rims are wrapped in fresh rubber. Your only concern is that the 572 big-block under the hood get 15 mpg on the highway. This means you'll have to stop for gas every 240 miles, and you just know that fill-up time will happen when its least convenient. You've thought about dropping a bigger tank,but you don't want to cut your trunk floor, lose your spare tire or have some gigantic tank hanging down under your ride. At Classi Performance we came up with a 25 gallon aluminum tank to replace the 16 gallon factory unit. It looks better, and more important, it installs without having to violate the factory sheetmetal of your classic Chevy. For the guy knocking down 15 mpg, it will up his range from 240 to 375 miles and that adds alot of flexibility to your cruising plans. I addes a few pics from the magazine story and as you can tell the tank fits between the rails next to the spare tire well and the flowmaster exhaust system.The spare tire well, rear bumper, and rear quarters are all lower than the tank so these tank cannot be seen once put back on the ground. The tank is fully baffled, made from 1/8-inch thick aluminum and mounts on a beefy 3/16-inch flange and all tanks are pressure tested before being shipped. These tanks have the provisions for fuel injection by simply removing a plug from the tank if you opt to go this route.

(Special Price For eBay Customers Only !)
This is a brand new tank is on the shelf and ready to ship. Don't miss out. This is a Great opportunity to save some $ on our CPP Exclusive Gas Tank. Low eBay store price! Item exactly as pictured

See less See more
#3 ·
Me too!

Don't think I'll need to drive nearly 500 miles B4 I make a "pit stop"...I'm NEVER in such a hurry, that I have to drive that far w/o a stop.
[Looking at 20mpg w/ the LS engine and that great OD trans!]:biggrin:
I've adopted the old saw: I can't be late, if I don't care when I get there!

#4 · (Edited)
#8 ·
34.5X26.5X8 is over 31 gallons...where did the 6 gallons go? I see a beveled corner that would account for a little of that. :confused:

Seems to me that the 25 gallon tank has to hang quite a ways below the frame. I think the trunk floor is about 2" above the frame, and the frame is only about 3" tall back there, so you have 3" hanging below the frame. Is that correct?

Also, I'm curious how you keep the tank from bulging with the flat bottom and the weight of the fuel. I put baffles in my SS tank that support the bottom because I was concerned about that.

Otis, keep in mind that this tank doesn't have provisions for an EFI in-tank pump or a sump in case you ever went that direction. ;)

#11 ·
Just saw this....

"The spare tire well, rear bumper, and rear quarters are all lower than the tank so these tank cannot be seen once put back on the ground. The tank is fully baffled, made from 1/8-inch thick aluminum and mounts on a beefy 3/16-inch flange and all tanks are pressure tested before being shipped. These tanks have the provisions for fuel injection by simply removing a plug from the tank if you opt to go this route."

So I assume the internal baffles support the tank from the inside. Curious how you set up EFI with it though. :confused:

#15 ·
As for EFI, these have a feed and return line bung welded in the bottom corner so it will allow the use of an external pump for you injection guys!
These tanks are also internally baffled and at eye level, the tank cannot be seen and the spare tire well hangs down 3/4-1" lower then the tank! AWESOME!

Also,
Nothing mounts to the trunk pan itself anymore and uses the included cross member and hardware to install. :)

#25 ·
EFI External Pump Mounting???

As for EFI, these have a feed and return line bung welded in the bottom corner so it will allow the use of an external pump for you injection guys!
Aaron, I am considering purchasing this tank, as I am finally ready to do this; however, I still have some concerns with an external fuel pump for an EFI system...it appears, in some of the pictures that I have seen, the holes for the fuel lines are lower than you could mount an external pump on the frame??? For EFI to work properly you need to gravity feed the pump, so where is it recommended to install the pump?

#18 ·
Did you get it?

Tri Five...

So did you get the tank?
I too now need a tank. Mine is actually bleeding right thru the tank on the side and dripping in my garage. One thing after another lately. Im thinking of a stock style in S/Steel. If you got the CCP one interested in knowing how install went...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.