Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Spare Tire and bigger fuel tank?

5K views 15 replies 11 participants last post by  fifties-forever 
#1 ·
I just got my first TriFive. 1957 4 door. I was actually looking for a 4 door. So don't knock the extra 2 doors..lol. That said, it was advertised as needs nothing. Driver ready. Well, it does start and run and stop technically. However, there are several issues I'll be working through.

So....I see many cars here that have deleted the spare tire pocket in order to fit a larger fuel tank. I like the idea of a larger tank, but I'm old school. You have to have a spare tire! Come on...prepare for the worst, hope for the best kinda thing.
Therefore, has anyone here achieved the larger tank and kept a spare tire somewhere in the car? If so, how did you do it?

Thanks all.

#4 ·
Ya....I'm thinkin the spare tire recess is staying as well as the stock size fuel tank. I'm going to sleep much better having a real spare tire. I'll just have to fill er up a little more often.

I like having a trunk to use as a trunk. I don't need the trunk to be a show piece.

Thanks guys.

#7 ·
sponsors sell larger tanks if you want one Chad. :anim_25: ..........AAA and cell phone is all I need (but do have a spare in trunk). :damnmate:

#8 ·
#13 ·
#9 ·
Why do you want a bigger tank? Even if you only get 15 mpg, and fill up with a couple of gallons left in the tank, you can go over 200 miles. Tell me you can't stand stopping more often than about 3 hours of driving. At my age I need to stop about that often for other reasons.

The other half of the story is that the spare tire well is narrow, and you can't even get a 205 tire in it. So you might as well lose it.

For me, I'm okay with losing the spare well, centering the stock size tank, and having a pocket kit/mini-tub and 275 tires. Also plan on 20+ mpg.

#10 ·
I definitely need a bigger tank as mine only gets 7-8 MPG! Too many barren stretches on a road trip.
Myself, I normally stay behind the wheel a minimum of 8 hours on a long trip and stations can be few and far between out here in the west.

#15 ·
Myself, I normally stay behind the wheel a minimum of 8 hours on a long trip and stations can be few and far between out here in the west.
DANG! Tom...You're a better man than I am.

#16 ·
DANG! Tom...You're a better man than I am.

Ha ha...That's funny Pop's! Love the image!
Used to be able to drive from Sacramento to Fort Worth Texas only stopping for gas and to pee, no can do anymore, and even driving for 8 hours, it's difficult to walk for a while afterwards, still bent in the driving position!

#11 ·
The other half of the story is that the spare tire well is narrow, and you can't even get a 205 tire in it. So you might as well lose it.
Someone forgot to tell my 57 it wouldn`t fit. I have a 205 on my spare. It fits fine, tight, but fine.
Terry

#12 ·
I went to 25 gallon tank and kept the spare. I had to shorten the exhaust be cause driver side would not fit by the new tank. Had to install larger mufflers to reduce the the louder sound. If I were to again the spare tire would have been removed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Thank you everyone. Lots of good info. Mostly, I did not realize there were larger tanks offered that the spare tire well can remain. And good info on spare tire size that can fit in the factory well.

Thanks again. I'd say, my questions were answered and I am more than satisfied.

Chad

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.