Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Need advice, Gotta get it back together!!

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  nad427 
#1 · (Edited)
how to tell if Column has been shortened?

I'm still messing with my steering shaft issue, for those that may have seen it before. I now need to know (have been asked by suppliers) if my column has been shortened, since this is a common thing, I guess. Aside from obvious hacking and such, what is the bast way to know if it is stock length? I assume mine is stock by looking at the bottom end, but maybe they get cut at the top? Dunno.....
Mine is slightly over 30" top to bottom, (30 5/16" ). Is that stock?

#4 · (Edited)
I have been on the topic of the steering box and column for this '56. I have the column and shaft that were on the car removed. It appears the shaft was a home modified shaft, welded to a rag joint shaft donor (junk yard part?). I had been trying to understand the Column, and was confused. I now believe the column is NOT a '56 Chevy column, and want your comments. Looking at the bottom end, it does not have the 3 bolts I see in other photos for a '56 column. This may be why I am confused. It has some kind of snap ring retainer at the bottom. The project is stalled, and I am wasting the summer!
I am now thinking to replace the Rag joint, shaft, and Column, (I'd like to keep an OEM look). Of course the first question is what box is in the car. I believe it to be a CPP box, as it has 5006 cast on it, but the 6 is ? in the casting. It is also stamped with 1506 911. photos attached. Is this a CPP box? There seems to be several box revisions from them.

#5 ·
your column looks like a stock column to me. if I had to guess I would say the box is a borgeson box ( which CPP copied ) .

#7 ·
What shaft is on the box, splined or DD or something else? I think it's a Borgeson also.
That's not a stock column. The shift indicator is on the collar/turn signal housing and it has a bearing at the bottom held by that clip. I suspect a 80's truck or van column.
You may be able to get a new shaft and a compatible rag joint to fit both, but you'll have to figure what length shaft you can use. http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-s...ox-with-shortened-stock-column-1955-1957.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.