Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Does a 4l80 trans require any mods?

13K views 40 replies 12 participants last post by  H2SHOCKER 
#1 ·
I am considering a new transmission for my 57 and wanted to know if the 4l80 requires any mods to the tunnel or firewall. Thanks, Kurt

#6 ·
That is good news. I am making a decision on a new trans for the 57. I have been running a 2004r behind my small block but I installed a big block this spring and want to have the peace of mind with a stronger trans. Now if I can find that pot of gold I'll be able to afford it! Thanks again. Kurt

#7 ·
Great choice on the transmission. Very strong, and will handle a lot of power.
I have a TH 400 in mine, gonna change it out, but torn between a 4L80E and a TKO stick. Want the stick, but arthritis is taking its toll on my joints.

#9 ·
Wanted to follow up on the 4L80e install. I finally got the trans installed and the computer wired. I am using the US Shift Quick 4 controller and it is very easy to use and has MUCH adjustability as well as data logging capability. Nice unit! I am using a 258mm 3000 stall converter with a triple disc lockup. The transmission fit with some small modifications. I flattened the seam on the firewall, cut off the cast in loop on the upper left of the bell housing, cut off the outer edges of the bell housing in order to fit it in between the headers and in it went. Measured 19" side to side on the bell housing. One issue was the shifter cable mount for the B&M cable. The shift lever arm on the 4L80e sticks out almost an inch more than my 2004r did. It is very close to my header collector but it clears by 1/2". 3.5" collectors on Dougs headers. Everything else went very smooth and the trans drives great. I love the lockup for our SoCal freeways. 70 mph is 2400 with 3.73 gears and 28.8" tire.

#11 ·
Hi Dave - the installation was very straightforward. Nothing more than hooking up the connections and going through the setup for your transmission. I started with one of the programs that is in the software and have made some modifications to that program after driving it a bit. I used the TPS from US Shift and it bolted right up with no issues. I used a laptop to set the closed and open throttle positioning but you can use the controller as well. On the first test drive the trans wouldn't shift. I tried shifting manually and it worked just fine so I knew it was a software issue. I called up their support line and they were outstanding. He spent about 20 minutes on the phone with me and had me try some different settings and also drive the car while he stayed on the phone! He decided that it must have had a corrupted transfer during the setup so I reinstalled one of the programs from the software and everything worked well. I have since made adjustments to the program with no further issues.

I ended up getting a converter from Jakes Transmission in TX. Per his recommendation based on my power level I went with the triple clutch unit due to the larger sprag used in that converter. It drives like a 2200 stall until you stab it which is what I wanted. I really like it so far and for the first time it went sideways on the 1-2 shift so it is working well. 👍🏻🍻

#13 ·
I have the TCI controller on a 4L60e in my Syclone...it's great. I don't think I'd even consider going back to an analog control automatic. This 4L60 is built pretty heavily (Level V from RPM Transmissions) and it's just awesome...shifts are perfect and exactly where you tell them to be. No stupid weights and governors to deal with like the old stuff.

#14 ·
Can anybody tell me if I need an adapter or a different flex plate? Engine is 2007 LS2 lift out of corvette / trans is 4L80. Going in my 57 😁

#15 · (Edited by Moderator)
Can anybody tell me if I need an adapter or a different flex plate? Engine is 2007 LS2 lift out of corvette / trans is 4L80. Going in my 57 �
not sure about the flex plate that may have come on your engine but these are the gm part numbers for ls & 4l80 flexplate 19260102 it is flat not dished adapter mates to the crankshaft 12563532 & bolts 19257940 there are also aftermarket that include all three of the above that are also SFI approved & the summit #704000 includes both the adapter & bolts better price $59 One exception might be if a aftermarket (stall converter) was ordered then talk with that company concerning options for flexplate & converter spacing

#17 ·
I have put about a dozen 4l80e's behind ls engines now and never needed a spacer of any kind. just use the flexplate for a 4l80e for a 2007 van and and appropriate torque converter. I used the gmpp stall converter on 3 builds and it fit perfect no spacer needed. but if yo use a 4l80e converter from say a bbc truck then you need a spacer because the snout is too short.

#18 ·
that's nice to know the earlier 6.0 & 4l80s used those GM numbers for flexplate with the .400 adapter to properly space the converter where the 4l65s had the dished flexplate & no adapter I was aware a aftermarket converter could be ordered for either set up just had to tell converter co which flexplate you were using & they made the converter with the correct neck length

#19 ·
This has been covered over and over and over. Link in my sig about transmission swaps that actually shows the 2001-up STOCK 4L80 flat flex plate with spacer. The spacer is pressed onto the flex plate easy to think its part of the flex plate. The 4.8L and 5.3L also used the same flexplate when in front of the 4L80 and yes the Vans used the 4.8/5.3L with the 4L80.

Stock flat flex plate taken off a 6.0L note the spacer. The stock GM conveter needs the spacer. If using aftermarket converter the nose of vert hub is usually made to fit into the crank with no spacer. So depends on what you have converter wise if in doubt contact the aftermarket converter maker.

The 1999-2000 6.0L didn't use a spacer the crank flange was longer to account for using the 4L80. Gm went to a common crank design in 2001 (crank flush with rear cover) so they used a spacer vs retooling the 4L80 converter line. The spacer is attached to the back side of the flat flex plate on those.

#21 ·
131 132 133 were the part numbers i originally listed but buying a later flywheel with the spacer attached probably is more cost effective Rock auto list flexplate without & shows one with a different part # by the same company that appears to have the spacer attached in the photo but doesn't actually state with spacer I was only responding to the OP with the combination I had previously used on two of my own builds

#22 ·
My point was there is a spacer needed for the LS2, so if buying a used 2001-up flexplate it will have the spacer on it already typically unless someone took it off. If buying new they lack the spacer unless you get a "kit".

GMPP sells a kit with flat flex plate and spacer its not cheap I would have to look up the p/n's.

Or easiest to get one off ebay few on there now ready to go for $50 for complete flexplate setup or find someone local with them.

Also needed is the lower cast bellhouse cover. Can be found locally usually as well as ebay for cheaper. https://www.wholesalegmpartsonline....utch--Converter-Housing/2782816/15765623.html

#25 ·
Great info guys, the trans is a stock used unit out of a 99 box van, again the LS2 is out of a corvette, running Holly Terminator Max. I run a repair shop and have a good relation with a local trans shop that does our rebuilds. I plan on having him freshen it up for me before my final install after I mock up everything. I think I will just bolt together with no plate for that. He did mention I should replace the converter. Ill be the first to tell you I dont know much on this topic. I want a smooth shifting normal driving car, no race stuff although I want to be able to melt the tires on demand. Any suggestions or advise? I probably want to change stock rear end too I guess? This is getting expensive. LOL

#26 ·
That trans should be from a SBC. The vans didn’t go LS till much later. Does it have the top hole cast in the bellhouse? Either way you’ll need a flat flex plate with the spacer if using stock converter.

Whats “freshen it up”. If he has it apart might as well rebuild it with new parts. And always replace a converter at rebuild. Stock unit is fine. Biggest issue will be what is your diff ratio and tire size. The 4L80 has a poor first gear. The stock rear if in decent shape would he fine provided you don’t have sticky tires. If you plan lots of burn outs then may want to upgrade it.

I would run 3.73 or 4.10’s but depends ok tire diameter too.

#27 ·
Correct, no top bolt hole, and yes by freshen up I mean I will have him rebuild the unit, got trans for $400 from one of our salvage yards so no prob spending the dollars on rebuild.
Glad to hear rear end is OK, I am surprised it can hold 400hp/400ftlb.
No sticky tires, right now car is / was bone stock. I was going to do bigger rims but old wheels growing on me. Undecided...
Just hate to have a custom drive shaft made just to blow up rear end and start over.
So, when you say stock is fine you mean a new stock van torque converter like what on there now I suppose?
Also if I wanted to do rear end.... whats everybody using / doing?
She was a v8 car but never did a burnout, I was doing good to drive 3 on tree, was first time. I assume only one tire spins on burnout with stock rear diff?

#28 · (Edited by Moderator)
Sonix makes great shift kits for the 4l80E makes great improvement without breaking your neck but your transmission shop will have they're own favorites like Bo185 said stock converter works fine. I did change from a stock converter to a 2800 FTI in another car I had I have to say it was night & day from a stop it just really depends on the your budget Good stalls aren't cheap for overdrives with lock up I'm using a Circle D in my 56 now again all in what your wanting to do & budget I'll add that after reading your last post i'm not sure i'd spend any extra on a stall converter if a stronger rear axle assembly not in the plans at some point

#30 ·
Hmmm... No idea / have to look for diff tag next time in garage, and I assume you mean aftermarket 9" cant go wrong.

#32 ·
Been looking for the Flat Plate with spacer, my local yard is no help say they don't have any they can separate from motor. I have not been able to find any on ebay either. Can somebody just give me a link to a new kit that will work, or maybe I'm not using correct search terms on ebay? I did buy the TC cover. Thanks for that part number.

#37 ·
Yea, I bought a tube and stick, the one the holly oil pan stated in the instructions, but but did not fit with the vette manifolds, speaking of which I was hoping I could use the vette manifolds but looks like everybody using f-body / lsa / 2010 + Camaro ones ?? I still need manifolds I guess. I really don't care about headers. I got motor and trans in car for first time today. Waiting for my 500 steering box so i can start figuring out the manifold thing.

#39 ·
While looking online for LSA Fbody manifolds .... I didn't realize aftermarket manifolds were cost effective.
Would any of these be a better solution?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI_e7539zh6QIVQdbACh1w6A1fEAQYAiABEgIsQ_D_BwE

https://www.jegs.com/i/Patriot+Exha...MIvu34teDh6QIVicDACh126ACNEAQYASABEgJv0PD_BwE

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hok-8501hkr/questionsanswers

They definitely look nicer, if money wasn't a consideration what would your first choice be? Even if its a stock manifold.

#40 ·
They definitely look nicer, if money wasn't a consideration what would your first choice be? Even if its a stock manifold.
a good set of ceramic coated headers.

#41 ·
Anybody have any pics of their drivers side manifold with a 500 box? I totally understand it depends on my engine mounts but I was looking for images to reference. Will be putting box in hopefully this weekend and then I can size things up. Maybe Ill try to start post some pics. This board is very helpful and if I can contribute to help somebody like it has me I will.

Also Bo..
You stated "But since you have a 500 box get the LSA F-body ones"
Anybody have a link to one... or at least an image.
I'm having some confusion as I thought fbody was pre 2000 camaro?
What year vehicle should I reference?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.