Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Power Steering Conversion Questions

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  USA1 
#1 ·
Planning on making the conversion to power steering before too long. What is the most common tilt column length, 30",32" or 33"? Speedway Motors columns seem more reasonably priced and come with a 1"DD shaft end. Is there a particular rag joint that joins the 1"DD to either a splined 600 series or 500 series power steering box. Last question - The block on my '55 is a 1970 with "double hump" heads. Since there aren't any accessories mounting holes on the face of the heads, can the power steering pump be mounted to the water pump housing?? If not, what option is there? Thanks to anyone who responds.

Jim

#2 ·
Power steering

Jim, I have the original style power steering that came on these cars when new. I will have to look to see what all that I have. I have installed the cpp steering box, the 605 and the original type and I can tell you from experience that the original has a much better feel. As far as the tilt steering goes I have an older steering column for cars like the 57 that does not have the key in the column. You will need to cut it but that is not really a big job, also I have the number of the rag joint that is splined to fit this column. I wo0uld imagine that you would want to get the valve rebuilt and there is a guy on here that does that, he did one for me and it worked perfect.

Wade

#3 ·
Power steering

Jim, one thing I forgot to tell you. I do not thing that I have the generator or the pump that bolts to the back of it. I have used the pump from a 1963 Chevrolet but you would have to figure out a way to mount it. Maybe to your water pump and then make a bracket to go to the front motor mounts if you still have them. If interested I will try to find out what all I have for the original power steering.
Wade

#4 ·
Jim, one thing I forgot to tell you. I do not thing that I have the generator or the pump that bolts to the back of it. I have used the pump from a 1963 Chevrolet but you would have to figure out a way to mount it. Maybe to your water pump and then make a bracket to go to the front motor mounts if you still have them. If interested I will try to find out what all I have for the original power steering.
Wade

#6 ·
Power steering

No I used the stock steering box, all of the power steering comes from the pump and the cross rod (can't think of the name) and the valve that goes with it. I have sent you a picture along with a picture of a column that you could install if you were going with the 604 or CCP's box.
I was amazed when I installed the original power steering in a 57 that I had. I had in the past installed 605's and CCP's boxes and they don't compare.
There is a guy on her by the name Jalepeno (spelling) that rebuilds the valves and tells you how to adjust them and he is spot on.

Wade

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.