Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Big Big Block Install Video

33K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Robert Haas 
#1 ·
This is a video, I did several years ago on big block installation in a 57 Chevy, I know their are easier better ways to do it but this is some basic information for the new guys to use.

Otis :)

#10 ·
Yep, there are a lot of issues but that's the fun part and the appreciation you have of it when you are done. If it was a simple drop in and bolt up, everyone would have one.

And I don't know why everyone thinks the 383 combo is so great. If you're going to spend that much on a small block then aftermarket block it and throw together a 414, 427 or 434 engine.

Otis, I only question one thing in your video. Please don't go under that car with it sitting on blocks like that. I lost an uncle to a similar situation and it's a lousy way to die.

#11 ·
Thanks for this! I am considering putting a big block in mine, and this answers a lot of questions. Thanks Otis!

#13 ·
I had a 400 sbc bored to 406 and put it in my '57 with a 671 BDS blower. The engine loved to run hot even with what I thought was a good cooling system. Maybe the blower contributed to the heat, but I would never own or build another 400 sbc. I'm glad others have enjoyed success with them, just not for me, Carmine.

#14 ·
Progress has been slow, but a lot of progress this year. Waiting on complete interior from TMI now and MAYBE this thing will roll under it's own power for the first time in many moons later this year. Still struggling with electric fan clearance due to accessories mounted on front of engine. Exhaust almost completed. Hooker Comps for late 60's impala are great fit.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
WOW, gotta love the stack injectors. I actually thought about that option, but not sure I'm smart enough to get it tuned and I don't have much patience left. I've never been a drag racer, but ran the old '57 some back in the day. It ran 1370's with 3.70 gears and an M21. Had some recapped 10" wide slicks on it too which were my street tires back in the day. The local drag strip was mostly dirt in the pits. I was runnin' it one Sunday afternoon with the headers uncapped and it came a monsoon. Arnie Beswick was there and he had a ramp truck that hauled 2. One was on the truck and the other wasn't. He let me drive my car up the ramps to cap my headers so I wouldn't have to lay in the red Ga. clay mud. I had a picture of my car sitting behind the Tameless Tiger, but I think it fell victim to an X-wife cleaning out the house. Pretty sure the '63 Tempest was on the truck with the '66 still on the ground, but either way it was a really cool pic that I'd love to have now. Here are 3 of the '55 from under. The headers are 3 1/2" collectors back to electric cutouts. The pipes to the side and back to the mufflers are 3". I'm trying to get 3" tailpipes over the rear end and back to the rear, but they're really fighting me. I origianally set it up with a panhard bar, but changed it to a diagonal link for talipipe clearance. If I go back to turndowns I'll put the panahard back on instead of the diagonal. Everybody says not to run a diagonal on the street, but nobody says why.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.