Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Side pipes

5K views 11 replies 12 participants last post by  AlwaysWantedA55 
#1 ·
I am installing side pipes on my 55 4 door sedan. The instructions show drilling into the bottom of the rocker panel. Not too keen on this. Is there a better method that someone here has tried.

#3 ·
I think I'd run some square tube out. Welded to the frame and flush with the floor just like for seat belts at the B pillar but terminate as needed.
Credit to others for the picture repost. I personally would not mess up the rockers, their tender enough.
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Car

Jim

#4 · (Edited)
I don't know that drilling into the bottom of the rockers will be trouble. There are drain slots there already so a few extra holes can't hurt. Plus, you can always reweld the holes closed if you had too and no one will see it any way. Building a little custom are we! You go!

#7 ·
I would fabricate two brackets for each side that go from the body mounts to under the rockers and mount to them. Like 3/16 x 2 or 1/4 x 1-1/2. I think it would be more substantial than a couple screws in the rockers. Rocker material is rather thin.
If you have to connect to the rockers nut-inserts would be the preferred method IMO.

Don

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.