Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Custom wheels: How to fit a spare tire?

3K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  emccomas 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought this car with 225/50R17 tires and wheels. the seller included a new steel wheel/tire with the car as a spare,....... Laying on the cargo floor. It isn't even close to fitting in the spare tire well, like the OEM 670-15 did.
The spare mentioned is 26" O.D. And 8" wide. I really don't care if I use it, but wondered how other folks deal with having a useful spare tire or plan, for the away from home times? I do have AAA and Hagerty, but it's always good to have options!
Are there any aftermarket solutions to this problem? I do plan to carry a Plug Kit, as I'd hate to resort to "Slime"! Using a plug kit does take some practice, and works most times. One issue with that is those little inflate cartridges won't fill a large tire, so carry more or some other means! I thought maybe there could be a space saver tire like I used to see supplied years ago.
OH!,... And then there is also the 4 wheel Disc brakes off-set thing to consider!

#2 ·
I carried one of the space saver spares for awhile. Then i wanted something different. I got a factory 55 wheel and installed a 205 tire on it. It fits in my spare tire well tight and fine.
Terry

#4 ·
Make sure whatever you get clears your disc brakes if you have them. I just carry a space saver spare just in case. I don't have posi so a smaller wheel on the back isn't an issue if I don't have to drive too far plus I have AAA.:bowtier:

#6 ·
Stock 15" wheels wouldn't fit my disc brakes.

I bought a 15"X6" Wheel Vintiques rally style, put a 6.70-15 stock type tire on it and it fits the discs and goes in the stock spare well in the trunk just fine.

Same 28" diameter as my rear tires (P235/65R-16).

I looked into a space saver but came to the conclusion it doesn't make sense. The only space-saver spare I could find close to the diameter I needed (with the right bolt pattern) was from an Astro van. Unfortunately, these spares are carried underneath those vehicles. Therefore, anything you are going to find in a wrecking yard is going to be weather-checked.
And, replacement tires for those are outrageously expensive.

#7 ·
My car has C5 Corvette front brakes so clearance is an issue with some wheel options.

The spare is from a Holden Statesman (a local product), same as some your Chevrolet Caprice (2009 upwards) I believe.

Low cost, as new (mounted 'in trunk'), propriety product, fits perfectly, it made sense to me :)

#8 ·
So, a 205 tire will fit into the spare tire well on a 56 Bel Air 4 door sedan?

I was looking at getting a new 195/75R15, which is NOT a common size tire, but I know it will fit the spare tire well.

How big of a tire can you get into the spare tire well.

I am matching the spare tire diameter to my new 215/70 R15 tires.

The 215/70R15 diameter is 682 mm.

The closest 205 tire is 205/75 R15, which is 688.5 mm.

The 195/75R15 tire is 673.5 mm.

682 mm plus or minus 10 mm is acceptable.

205/75R15 is a delta of +6.5 mm.
195/75R15 is a delta of - 8.5 mm.

I would go with the 205/75R15 tire if it will fit.

#12 ·
This is the reason for matching the diameter to the tires on the car as closely as possible.

A difference of less than 10 mm is negligible, and my car does not have a posi in it. But even if it has a posi, this small of a difference would not matter.

Tires on car are 682 mm - 215/70R15.
Spare tire is 688.5 mm - 205/75R15.

A difference of 6.5 mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.