Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

'57 Cold Air Intake

3K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  fifties-forever 
#1 ·
Quite some time ago, I recall seeing a post here that showed pictures of a '57 that utilized the fresh air intake ducts from the headlight brows as a source of air for the air cleaner. I cannot remember how he did it, or where he put the air filters.
Does anyone here remember that, or who owns the car.
I spoke with a fabricator at my local speed shop last night and he said he would give it some thought, but was not sure how to accomplish it. Any help would be appreciated.
Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Engine Auto part

See less See more
#2 ·
Not too hard to do.

Get a Spectre Performance air cleaner housing that accepts two hoses or tubes for the fresh air. In general the air cleaner housing looks like an OEM 4bbl carb air cleaner. Also some Fox body Mustangs had such an air cleaner as OEM. Or you could modify an enclosed 4bbl air cleaner.

Then you would run a hose or tube from the fresh air vent tube on each side to the air cleaner. Spectre has parts to do this also.

#3 ·
Okay, I'll check into that! Thanks Rick! I appreciate your input.

#7 ·
Thanks! This helps too! Appreciate your support!

#6 ·
#12 ·
Thanks, reply sent!

#13 ·
The one photo of the cold air intake is my 57. I still don't have the car on the road but below is a link to more photos. I did you the Spectrec air cleaner and had to buy additional parts. I cut holes in my inner fenders and had to shorten the original intake tube plus reduce the opening to fit the Spectrec pipes. I try to get some more photos.
Charlie

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlies57chevy/albums/72157629292973254

#14 ·
Hey Thanks! Appreciate your taking the time to post this. I have the air box and tubes on order.
Yours looks pretty sweet! VERY nice work!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.