Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

57 hood hinge to fender brackets - and hockey sticks

46K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  NHRAmike57 
#1 ·
I'm not claiming credit for this idea. I saw this on CT a while back, and liked the idea and only got around to fitting mine.

I, for one, don't like the stock bracket as the upper edge is designed to clamp to the fender and ultimatelty mark the paint. Someone on CT posted about it a while back, and he termed them "hockey sticks". The basic idea is to spread the load on the mounting point and still use the same mounting bolt.

A mate made the brackets for me and yesterday I did some drilling to mount them. The third photo shows them mocked up (on the outer side of the fender). The fourth photo shows how unobtrusive they are - will be trimmed a bit more to match the lower edge of the fender.

Cheers, Des

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Tim the drawing I had gone off of was from this original post where he has the tape measure with the two brackets. I just made cardboard ones from his measurements and fine tuned them a bit and cut them out of some scrape metal and drilled the holes after marking them on a dry fit.

#10 ·
I believe I saw this idea some time back, on this forum...not sure who posted it, but I decided to make some for my car, as I just hated the clamp that was OEM and it was sloppy at best. I just cut a piece of cardboard, laid it up alongside the fender edge and drew it out freehand...then took some heavy stock...(18 gauge from Lowes, I believe) and cut them out using the pattern. It works really great and makes the hood feel solid when you lift it or close. I did mine probably 2 months ago...figure most of the members had seen that one. I love it when I pick up smart, corrective tips that should have come stock from Chevrolet...great idea....:shakehands::gba:bowtie-trifive

UPdate....found the post here....give credit where credit is due
http://www.trifive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120127&highlight=hockey+stick

#11 ·
This is a great idea! I have a gasser and have removed the inner fenders. The clamp on the passenger side doesn't seem to hold the fender tight and it slips off the fender making the hood hard to close at times. I was going to make the clamp slightly longer, but this idea is way better and provides even more clamping power for the fender to hood hinges. Can't wait for this weekend to make a set!

#12 ·
I was going to make the clamp slightly longer, but this idea is way better and provides even more clamping power for the fender to hood hinges. Can't wait for this weekend to make a set!
Revisited this thread, as someone else has started another thread on the subject, and a link back to this one. That one is in the Metal fab & repair section.

Icody
John had wanted to make the original brackets longer, and we did make a set. For some reason his hinges sat a bit lower than mine, and on one side the original clamp did not come anywhere near contacting the fender. So we made a set of longer clamps and I was worried that they would do the same thing - sooner or later they would remove some paint. In the end I talked him into using both - we used the hockey sticks to locate the hinge (and spread the load) and used the extended stock clamp for originality. We bent the clamp out a bit so it just touched the hinge and used a small piece of rubber to protect it. So we got the best of both worlds - an original looking piece and a better, more functional piece, hidden from view. :)

Cheers, Des

#17 ·
I went a different route when I made mine as I forgot completely about this tread.My hinges are not installed yet and did`nt want to drill holes in the fender , the stick showing or space between fender and hinge.The top of the stick fits perfectly behind the top of the spring.With my design though you need to remove the welded nut on the hinge and weld a nut to the stick.I used an old rusty hinge as mock up and will have to grind the nuts (no pun intended) off of the new hinges.

Attachments

#26 ·
Here is what I ended up doing to mine, Before I sent them out to be rebuilt I modified the mount where hinge bolts to inside of fender with 1- 5/16 button head in same location original clamp was at. I also filled the clamp bolt hole to smooth the hinge out a little. I figure if the crush clamp held all that was needed was the one mounting point. I think shear load on a 1/4" bolt is way up there so a 5/16 should be plenty.I still need to mill the hole a little to allow for hinge movement when adjusting the hinge at fire wall. I also machined up a couple covers that cover up the mounting bracket bolts at firewall just to clean that up a little bit. They mount to hinge base it self with 1- 10/32 countersunk screw. Just a little different way of doing it & only welding to hinge rather than fender.
Perk

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.