Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Header selection r and p with d port

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Rick_L 
#1 ·
Here we go, my 1st post. My question is if someone can knows what header will fit my combo. Zz4 crate with d port angled plug head with 4l60.I have a side engine mount conversion with power rack and pinion, coil overs and rear mount transmission cross brace. I see that Danchuk has a header but it is not compatible with the angled plugs. I am not adverse to shorties or block huggers. Thanks in advance. The car was an unfinished project with the above mods already done.

#8 ·

These are full length step tube headers, 1 5/8" at flange going to 1 3/4" the rest of the way to the collectors. They are from Dynatech, but this is an older p/n for a SBC in a 70-81 Camaro. You can contact Dynatech for their new p/n.
I am using them on my 55 Wagon with a Unisteer Rack and Pinion set up, with three u-joints and a support bearing.

The bottom of the collectors are flush with the bottom of the frame.
This is the only picture that I have of the steering with the u-joints but it is not very detailed, but it does work.

FYI, I am running AFR 1054 angle plug heads on my 427 SBC so these headers do work with angle plug heads.

#9 ·
Keep in mind two things when dealing with D ports and angled plug heads.

As long as there's a sealing surface for the header, it doesn't need to have a matching D shape, if the opening in the header flange is bigger than the opening in the head, and it lines up when you bolt the header on. Race headers are actually made to be this way. Key thing is that the header opening is bigger.

Also, as long as you have factory angled plug heads, the header clearance to the plugs will actually improve unless you have cheap headers that have the flanges incorrectly cut. Even then you can usually fix it but it's a lot of work with a grinder.

Headers for aftermarket heads will need more scrutiny, and there's no bets one way or the other. But a good aftermarket head supplier will be honest about this if you call and ask. At least if you ask the right guy there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.