Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

My 55 "Gasserish" project. Advice welcomed!!

53K views 235 replies 41 participants last post by  Mr. Sinister 
#1 · (Edited)
I've had my 55 for 10 years now, and in that time, it's basically been the same setup. Well, I'm bored with it.
So, I've decided to do a gasser-ish setup. I may or may not do fenderwells, and I don't plan to radius the rear arches. I am not going to go with a straight axle front end, and this is where I could use some advice.
The whole car is lowered slightly, and I plan to keep the rear where it is, but raise the front. Can anyone tell me (I know I may need to just measure) if a set of factory height springs would give me that slight nose-up stance? Here's an album that will show the current stance: http://imgur.com/a/CfOc6
If stock springs won't do it, can anyone recommend something that will?
Everything else I'm pretty well set on, but if anything comes up, I'll be sure to ask!!

#3 ·
Do you know what the present spring and suspension is in your '55? Without knowing what you have, it's tough to say what might work. Your car looks a bit lower than stock, so I'm guessing it may have either lowering springs, or spindles. If it's lowering spindles with stock springs, then changing springs wont do much. If it's lowering springs, then installing stock, or heavier than stock springs should make the change you want.
Are your rear leafs lower than stock also?

#4 ·
Well, I'm assuming the front springs are chopped, because the spindles look factory, and everything else on this car was hacked when I bought it. I'm running stock replacement ball joints and shocks, and the shocks do look a little more compressed at ride height than normal. That would point to shorter springs, right? I was figuring stock springs up front, then maybe a coil spacer (do they exist for tri-fives?) to tweak if needed.

#8 · (Edited)
You're probably right. I figured on trying the Moog 656 springs, and if that doesn't get me there, adding some spacers. It goes down the road quite nice now (and it took some work to get it there), so I want to maintain that. If I end up having to add ball joint extensions, I'll do that as well.

#9 ·
Just my two cents, but your car site really nice as is.
Why would you want to ruin it by nosing it up?
You will kill the handling.
The "Rebel Rouser" sits level but gives the appearance of a nose-up attitude because the front tires are smaller and the rear wheelwells are radiused.

Gassers are cool, but so is your car.

#10 ·
I appreciate that, but I'm just bored with it. I have seriously contemplated selling it, but I figure I'll try this first and see if it rekindles the flame. It's had the exact same stance for the 10 years I've owned it. It's been largely the same the whole time. I do get plenty of compliments, and while I appreciate them, it's not why I do anything to any of my cars. If people like what I do, great. If not, fine. But I did what I wanted.
Maintaining some handling is why I'm not doing a straight axle, and a coil lift is simple to change should I want that later, or decide it's time to let the car go. The 656 springs will lift it, but they're also firmer, so it shouldn't wallow too much. Besides, with no sway bars and nothing but a rear shock relocation bar and hacked springs, the rest of the suspension is stock, so it's no corner carver anyway.

#11 ·
If you lift the front, why not keep it level and add some suspension goodies, sway bar in the rear, bigger one in the front, etc.

The improved handling might rekindle the fire.
Also, there is nothing like 4 wheel disk brakes.

I did all the above to my 55 but unfortunately lost it in a fire.

#12 ·
That's a thought, but I'm not really into handling so long as it's streetable and doesn't knock my fillings loose. Plus you can enjoy looks while sitting still. :D
I've got discs up front, and I planned to do the rear when I put a new rear end under it. This car has never had any sway bars on it.

#13 ·
This is a question many tri five members have been seeking advice on and there should be a lot of threads to gather ideas from. I personally recently tried stuffing 409 springs in my 57 150 and quickly aborted the attempt ....just too much pressure and possible a arm failure later on. Forget the ball joint spacer idea too if you only want to adjust height....Woodys has a shock kit promising to give some height as discussed in a recent thread too. The 656 coils do not give much more than an inch or so . Raised spindles ....tried them also ....too many mods and lots of issues with safety. I thought I read about some Buick colis that may be of help . So I too am interested in seeing where this thread opens up ideas ....stance is everything when searching for that look.

#14 · (Edited)
Keep in mind I'm lowered in the front and rear (more in the front), so even an inch over stock height up front will give me that nose-up stance. So I imagine it will be lower overall than your typical gasser, but still have that rake, which is exactly what I'm looking for.
I bought the 656 coils, and I'll throw a coil spacer on them if it's not where I want it to be.

#28 ·
If your front springs have been cut like you think, then the new stock springs should lift it for sure.

There's a few different styles of spring spacers, and some are way better than others.

Here's one kind,

Here's another in rubber (but less desirable),

This steel version you'd have to modify something to run I'm sure, but it should get you even higher if that's what you wish,

#30 ·
I ended up with 57 heavy duty springs, so we'll see how it sits with them, keeping in mind the rear is also lower than stock. I'll add spacers later if it's not where I want it.
Front springs are either hacked or just lowering springs. They're a fair bit shorter than the new springs by my estimation (haven't pulled them out, but judging by the advertised compressed height of the new springs vs. what's in the car now).

#32 ·
Decided to swap the worn out rear springs for a set of stock height Posies super slides, so I'll be lifting the whole car. New leafs and coils should be going in next week. I also picked up a pair of Rocket Racing Launchers for the front. I'll post a pic or two once I get everything installed next week.

#34 · (Edited)
I am. Doing this has rekindled the flame, I think. Ultimately I'm going to either do EFI, or an LS swap, with the gasser style. I've already named it "Misfit".
I figure that will annoy the tri-five purists, and the gasser purists!! :D
Pretty much everything has been done before with these cars, but I can't think of seeing a street gasser with a modern engine setup. I'm sure they are out there, but not around here. Trying to set mine apart just a little. I might totally fail and it will look like a bad mashup of styles, but at least I'll have tried something I wanted to.

I'm still weighing a couple things, like do I want to do fenderwell headers and pull the inner fenders, do I want to do graphics, etc. I do get caught in the rain from time to time, and that will make quite a mess of the engine bay without the inner fenders. I figure maybe do some electric cutouts before the mufflers to get that sound. I've got my idea for traditional gasser graphics down, just not sure if I want to put them on the car or not.

#38 · (Edited)
If you're still following, I got the springs installed. I used Moog 57 Chevy HD coils, and Posies Super Slide leafs in stock height out back.
Definitely lifted the car, but it's still nose down a bit. I don't think I could get a taller spring or a donut spacer installed up front, as these just barely fit. So, I may put a 1" or 2" drop block out back.

Before (keep in mind this is back when it still had air shocks in the rear):

After:

I will say this though, the car rides fantastic now. Nice and firm, without beating me up. The original rear springs were totally shot, and the fronts were indeed cut to lower the car. I did new KYB Gas-a-just shocks last year.

#40 ·
I was originally thinking "low gasser", but you're right, it probably would look more like a tail dragger.

I'll also add that it breaks the tires loose a lot easier, which I would assume is a result of a rear suspension working properly.

#47 ·
The new Radir spindle mounts wouldn't be my choice for a Tri 5 Chevy or other similar heavier car! But I've seen them on several 30's coupes and roadsters, and they look great, and work great!
The 18" part is what wouldn't work for most cars. The 3" width isn't an issue. Lots of people running 3.5" front wheels, but in a 15" diameter. My Austin is 3.5"x15" on the front, and work great. Almost 20,000 miles on them, and just mounted a new pair of tires. First pair were used and came with the wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.