Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Exhaust Band Clamps leak

3K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  berisiw 
#1 ·
Anyone use these and have leaks? I'm thinking of getting some fiberglass cloth and put it on under the clamps. Only a couple leak.

#4 ·
It depends what style band clamps you use. If they are the 1" style clamps, they are designed to require a slot in the outer pipe. That slot allows the clamp to compress the outer pipe to the inner pipe to eliminate leaks.

If you are using a larger 3" wide band clamp, they shouldn't leak unless one of he pipes is curved. ie after a muffler where a tailpipe is inserted. Sometimes if the tail pipe is inserted too far into the muffler, the clamp ends up partially on the curve of the tailpipe and that causes the clamp to stretch, distort and not seal properly.

#5 ·
If you are using a larger 3" wide band clamp, they shouldn't leak unless one of he pipes is curved. ie after a muffler where a tailpipe is inserted. Sometimes if the tail pipe is inserted too far into the muffler, the clamp ends up partially on the curve of the tailpipe and that causes the clamp to stretch, distort and not seal properly.
I believe they are about 4" wide. Not on any curves at all. I used the sealant the other person suggested on a couple and that does seal well but I have more to do. They leak right where the two ends come together. I think they are Jegs brand, not sure if that's the problem.

#9 ·
Found out what is wrong with the band style exhaust clamps, the bolt, or more so the shoulder of the bolts are too long preventing them from tightening all the way. Only had a couple 7/16" bolts the right length but while out testing the car stopped at Tractor Supply and bought a pound or so. I have a lot of joints with the X pipe, right there are 8. Hopefully will finally get rid of the exhaust smell I sometimes get in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.