Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Best muffler

12K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  Bill Jenkins 
#1 ·
Hey guys going to be putting in a new exhaust soon on my 57 bel air sedan. Have a 396 bb in it, headers, going to do dual exhaust out the rear , just want to know what mufflers or glass pack to go with ? WAnt it fairly quiet w. Nice rumble. , when I go 5o 60, on a highway want to be able to listen to my music and not have a headache when I get out . Somehing mod in price too. Thanks again.

#7 ·
Gotta agree here, I also run the Super Turbos on ALL my vehicles. Love the sound and very low backpressure. Great mufflers, and reasonably priced as well.

#5 · (Edited)
Jeff you are asking a tough question here. You might want to do a search on You tube for Flowmaster, Dynomax, Magnaflow and/or Pypes and try & listen to some for yourself. Flowmaster alone sells like 12 or 15 styles of mufflers from super loud to super quiet. For pipe diameter either 2.5" or 3" depending on how healthy your BB is but probably 3" but that would be a good question to ask manufacturer. This time around I bought a Magnaflow kit with turbo mufflers for my 57 but I haven't heard it on my car yet. :anim_25:

#10 ·
My Brother owns a busy muffler shop and deals with this question almost every day. He has been in the business for 35 years and owned his shop for 19, so has some experience. He has had more people come back to remove Flow Masters because they are too loud, than Magnaflows or Walker/Dynomax Turbo mufflers. It's almost impossible to have loud at idle and not at 2500 rpm.

Even a stock muffler won't "silence" a healthy big block at wot. In my opinion, a healthy engine with high compression and nice cam sounds "mature" at idle with turbo mufflers.

My same Brother had 2 1/2" Walker turbos with stock manifolds and 2 1/4" tailpipes on his 72 Chevelle SS454. It had ls6 specs, (except +.030 / 10:1 cr) sounded good at idle, but no problem hearing it at 5,800 rpm.

IMO, the exhaust will never be too quiet to hear the radio or talk to the lady in the passenger seat. :)

#11 ·
Thanks for the insight brother !, so dyno Max turbo mufflers huh? Now the question is what size? I see there's a bunch and a bunch of diff model numbers .
What do you guys suggest , model
Number wise? I've seen a few in Ebay and Amazon from 25 -100 each so not sure which ones .thanks

#20 ·
Thanks guys for all your input , really appreciate it ! So many decisions to make but I think J might just go with the thrush turbo mufflers , I'll try them out , they seem to have gotten alotnof good reviews , so I'll try them out , if I change my mind again it will be the dyno Max super turbo . Will be doing it sometime next month so I'll keep you guys posted after the results . THanks again !

#21 ·
Long case Super Hemi Turbo Mufflers.
Ramjet 350 engine, full length headers, H pipe, Flowmaster tail pipes, 2 1/2" throughout.
No drone. Take a listen at idle:

#23 ·
Some years ago I had a '67 Camaro with a stout 327 and headers. For exhaust, I put a single stock transverse muffler with dual inlets and dual outlets.
The car sounded great. A nice mellow rumble without the noise.
I am thinking seriously about replacing the Hushpower mufflers on my '56 with some type of stock mufflers.
Like others have said, I think a healthy engine sounds good no matter the muffler. May be exceptions to this though, but it sounds reasonable to me.

#25 ·
Flower Masters!!

----------:bowtieb:personally, I like Flow Masters myself!!:)----Both my 56 and 55 have them. I have the four chamber one's on the 56, and five chamber Big block series one's on the 55!!---Both cars have pretty potent small blocks, and I'm always being told both cars sound great!!-----The five chamber ones are quieter!!:driver:milton

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.