Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Dynomax muffler

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  JG283 
#1 ·
I see the super turbo comes in 3 lengths... I know,the 20" one has no,drone anyone with experience with the 14 and 16" ones in respect to,drone?
Thanks dc

#2 ·
I tried a 16 and it had drone, then I tried a 20 and it too has drone. They do have a money back guarantee if you don't like them for any reason. I think it's good for 90 days. Be sure to drive it a lot in that time because it takes some time for the drone to appear. If you buy through summit you can probably return them with free shipping. Direct or other places may make you pay for return shipping.

#3 ·
#7 ·
Mine drone also at low rpm even with an X pipe. Tried the little ones and the big ones. The drone is loud, and when it's not drone, it's too quiet! Just had an idea but with the X pipe I don't know if I can make it fit. I'd like to move them so one is further front than the other. That just may stop it from resonating. I'll have to look at things anyway, I used those stainless band type clamps and most of them are leaking.

#8 ·
unless

your exhaust exits out the rear of your car,
you will have drone,
all the under car, or before the rear wheels exhaust put all the noise in the car,

so, possibly your hearing exhaust noise, not drone?

I know there are some cars that the eng/exhaust/ muffler combo just cannot get rid of the noise/drone.

I've used many brands of mufflers on many cars, and always go back to
Dyno max turbo mufflers.

#11 ·
Drone is very much based on the design of the cabin of each particular car. I am really shocked to see so many guys claim their Dynomax Super Turbo's have noticeable drone. That same muffler on an A-Body GM, even with a healthy motor...has literally no drone. It's literally the best performance muffler with the least amount of drone on the market.

Some general tips on drone not necessarily in any order:
1. The bigger the muffler, the less drone
3. X-pipe will lessen drone at most rpm levels.
4. Drone usually only kicks in within a 200-400 rpm level. Usually 1700-2100. 5. Driving outside that rpm level can solve this problem. Easier said than done for guys with Auto Transmissions.
6. Make sure your exhaust system is hung with rubber insulators to lessen drone
7. 55-57's have a lot of extra space under the car. Resonators can help
8. Almost always, the louder the muffler, the more drone. If you want to sound bad-ass cruising, you need to accept that there will be drone at some rpm level. No muffler has big sound and no drone.

All of the above tips are subject to the owners ears! I'll probably get a dozen viewers saying I'm full of crap! :) because everyone has a different opinion on what constitutes loud and what constitutes drone.

What fun would our hobby be if everything was a no brainer :D

#12 ·
Well said Ccas! I agree with your entire statement.
I have Super Turbos on every vehicle I own and am very happy with the Dynomax brand. However, we cant all be satisfied.

#14 · (Edited)
I have the 20" and no drone.
I have full length headers, an H pipe and it's 2 1/2" all the way.

My rpm at 70 mph is 1550. (.50 6th gear with 3.55 rear gears.)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.