Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Mufflers Suggestion Needed

2K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Ccas 
#1 ·
I have a 2 1/2 inch Dual Turbo exhaust system in my 57. I removed the crossover pipes earlier.
The problem is- It's too quiet. I want a deep rumble sound. What would you guys suggest? I thought about glass packs. I don't want it too loud.
The exhaust manifolds are original to my early 90's 350 that is currently installed.
John

#3 ·
#8 ·
I went with the flowmaster 50s with an H pipe and 2 1/2" pipe all the way through ......

I have a crate ZZ4... and that was too loud and had an annoying rap....

I added a pair of 12" resonators and it toned it all down perfectly......

In my opinion it is all a shotgun blast in the dark for the most part.....take your best guess or go to a car show and find someone with a set up like your car and listen.... if you like it ask the owner for the specs.....

Good luck...

#9 ·
What Abdiver said:

In my opinion it is all a shotgun blast in the dark for the most part.....take your best guess or go to a car show and find someone with a set up like your car and listen.... if you like it ask the owner for the specs.....

Good luck...[/QUOTE]

This is what I did, Talked to a guy with a Chevelle 454, 3 inch exhaust, that had Super 40's.... I heard it and thats what I ended up getting for my big block 57.

good luck, Gil

#10 ·
I listen to a screaming engine 10/12 hours a day, so the last thing I want is to listen to one on the way home or on weekends.

The above mentioned turbo mufflers offer something in the middle and would be less cost with a cleaner look than adding glasspacks to Flowmasters if it sounds like a wanna' be race car. :)

#15 ·
Based on what you have and the sound you explained, you are going to be disappointed in the super-Turbo's. They are for guys that want good flow but relatively low tone. They are only slightly louder than stock unless you have a monster motor in the car. I think you would be happy with welded chambered mufflers. FlowMasters will sound great at idle, around town and getting into it. The only time you will be annoyed is at steady highway speeds.

If I may, the Pypes Street Pro has the FM sound in all driving conditions except highway speeds when they actually quiet down. They are also stainless, lifetime warranty and about $120/pair. Go listen to some sound videos on youtube.

Good luck

#12 ·
If you call them and get a P/N of the muffler supplied you could likely get something exactly the sound you want.

Not sure if you installed the current system or how old it is, but you may be able to install the new mufflers with S.S. band clamps that would make it really easy to install and change out if you want something a bit different later.

#14 ·
There are a good number after market exhaust systems I found when I searched for my other classic, Nova. I ended up having flowmaster 50s installed and well worth the cost, awesome sound!: I'll have same system installed on my 1956 Chevy!:flag6:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.