Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Headers Recommendation

6K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  Chuck bayes 
#1 · (Edited)
I see lots of threads but not exactly what I need. I have a 55, 2" lowered spindles, stock steering linkage, 500 power steering, IDIDIT tilt column with column shifter and a 350 SBC with 350 Turbo Tranny. They tranny is rear mount and the engine is side mount. I have some chrome headers from Danchuck that I bought several years ago that hang below the old engine mounts. I need more ground clearance and may lower the car a little more. Don't mind cutting off the mounting horns. What headers should I run? Thanks for any help.

PS - early model double hump heads.

#2 ·
Take a look at the Patriot 3/4 length headers. I have them on my 57 and didn`t remove the trans horns. I have side engine mounts and a 700R trans.
Terry

#5 ·
2112 Hooker Headers!!

:tu-------------:bowtieb:I use 2112 Hooker headers on my 55 and 56!!---NO ground clearance issues at all, and both cars are lowered!!---The mounting horns will have to be removed, because the headers tuck up in this area, and I have the 500 box on the 55 and a 605 box on the 56!---I do use a B&M Quick Silver Auto floor shifter on both cars, and naturally side motor mounts!---Good Luck--Hope this helps you!!----:driver:milton

#6 ·
Thanks - You are running a column shift or think there will be room? Most headers look like there is not enough room for the shifter linkage.

I notice there are two options on Summit. One with 18 gauge tubes and one with 16. I wonder if the thicker tubes are why some people have clearance problems on the steering box and others don't?

18gauge link here:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pte-h8055-1/overview/

#7 ·
------:bowtieb:I don't know if there would be a problem with the column shifter, because I use floor shifters on both my 55 and 56!!---I don't know how important performance is to you, but the Hookers are a tuned piece and do make more torque and power!!---They have 1 3/4 tubes with a 3in. collector!!---Which ever choice you make, best of luck!!---:):driver:milton

#10 ·
headers

BADD55,
Do your Hooker full length headers end up below the frame rails? I have a set that is maybe 20 years old and they hang 3" from the ground. They are Super Comp I think. I am doing a new build and want more ground clearance with this car.
I am wondering about the head port shape thing too as the engine I plan on putting in the 55 has D-shaped ports!
Oh, 406 SBC, Tremac 5 speed, 500 steering box. Rails removed..2" drop spindles, stock springs.

#13 ·
BADD55,
Do your Hooker full length headers end up below the frame rails? I have a set that is maybe 20 years old and they hang 3" from the ground. They are Super Comp I think. I am doing a new build and want more ground clearance with this car.
I am wondering about the head port shape thing too as the engine I plan on putting in the 55 has D-shaped ports!
Oh, 406 SBC, Tremac 5 speed, 500 steering box. Rails removed..2" drop spindles, stock springs.
----:bowtieb:-Reid I sent you a PM!!---milton:driver:

#11 ·
You probably have the older Hooker headers which fit fine but hang much lower because they will clear the original brackets for the bellhousing mounts. I forget the whole p/n but it's 23xx. They are still sold.

Besides the Hooker 2112 headers, the Earle Williams headers and the Dougs 353 headers will fit and meet your needs. Don't know about the column shift, maybe.

#14 ·
Headers

I just did a 383 700r4 swap in my 55 with a 500 steering box. I read every post available from you good ole boys on Tri Five on header selection and decided on Patriot 3/4 headers . N o problems they seem to fit good at the steering box with almost a 1/2 clearance . I went with Earl Williams side mounts that fit great and well worth the money, and the headers have good ground clearance, I have 2 inch drop spindles. Thanks again for the posts. You guys rock !

#16 ·
Car has side mounts, 500 box, column shift, dropped spindles and lowering springs. I do have a rear tranny mount. They are Stainless Works, 1 3/4. However, I do not have flanges on the collectors and use a slip fit over the collectors. Been very pleased with them. Joey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.