Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Big Block header question

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  atest4u 
#1 ·
I will start with I have searched through the forum, but was not able to find the specific information needed.

I have a 1956 Chevy 210 4dr with a 396 big block with oval port heads. The current headers on the the vehicle are only 4.5 inches off the ground on the passenger side and about 6 inches on the driver side. The passenger side scrapes when pulling out of the drive way. The bottom of the headers are, as you could probably guess, smashed flat. This engine was put in the car by someone else so I am not sure how far the motor has been moved forward, but it does not appear to allow an HEI distributor. The radiator was moved to the front side of the brace in the six cylinder position. It has the original manual steering box, and an oil pan that has a cut out for the drag link. The car is not lowered

My question is what headers give the most room for this setup. I have a TH400 transmission with a cross member installed, and a a pypes exhaust on the vehicle. I have attached a picture of the passanger side header from original builder of header.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Are the original bellhousing motor mount brackets still there on the frame, and do the headers run under them?

If so, get some Earle Williams, Dougs, or Hooker headers that require you to cut those brackets off the frame. The headers will be much higher up in the frame, and the ground clearance will be much better.

#5 ·
I'm running Sanderson BB56 (driver)BB57 (pass.) with my BB454. These are a 3/4 length that give great ground clearance. Nothing hangs below the frame rails. I also run the recommended TCI bolt in 3/4 fwd. motor mounts . I have a 4 sp., & 605 box, but think these will also work with an auto. & stock box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.