Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Best headers for 55 with side mounts & R/P?

3K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Rick_L 
#1 ·
Hi all, I have a 55 210 sedan with a 350 and a 700r4 trans. I am using 3/4" forward side mounts, a unisteer power rack and pinion, and power brake M/C. I am having trouble finding headers that fit in most aspects. I bought the Sanderson 8021830 shorty headers, and I bought some Rams horn headers. The rams horn will not work because if the side mounts and the R/P. The sandersons fit okay, but even using shorty header sparkplugs, they will melt the spark plug boots. I have been looking at the williams and the dougs headers but I am not sure they will clear the R/P. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Oh yeah, I am using an Ididit column.

#6 ·
Have Patriot 8055-1

Engine in stock location with side mounts.

Front tube to motor mount on the left side = 3/4" clearance.

500 steering box = 3/4" clearance to header.

153 tooth flywheel + Tilton gear drive mini starter = 3/4" clearance collector to starter.

Right side installs from the top or bottom, left side installs from the bottom.

No mods to the headers.

#7 ·
#8 ·
Are these the ones you are using? Part number C56 SB.
https://www.sandersonheaders.com/sa...-set-for-55-57-chevy-cars.html?category_id=68
Do you have a straight plug, or angled plug?
I also have R&P on my small block 406, and had some minor difficulties with fitment (Only because I have Dart heads which are angled differently) and called Sanderson tech support. They were VERY helpful and sent me the parts I needed FREE, even though they didn't have to.
I hate to see you spend more money on another set if you don't have to...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.