Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Cost to weld up 2 new mufflers

3K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  1946Model 
#1 ·
Guys-

What is a "ball park" price to pay to have a shop weld up new mufflers?
The replacements are very close in size and I do not foresee any fabrication, if anything maybe a coupling on one side. 2.5 inch.

I was figuring $125-175. Someone who knows what they are doing should be able to do this right in 1.5 hours correct?

#4 ·
From your description, It sounds like an hour's labor...Cost will depend on the going rate in your area.

#5 ·
I would contact 3 exhaust shops, tell them what you need done and read the shop reviews.

i had new mufflers and tailpipes welded in a couple years ago, took near 3 hours, cost was about
$375 for a quality job ..:anim_25:

#9 ·
A few weeks ago my uncle installed mufflers on his Nomad. He had the Flowmasters, but shop installed from the headers back—2.5 piping, hpipe, mufflers, piping /turned out in front of rear tire and tips for 120.00. Also, included their preferred header gaskets. He was expecting more. Took about 3 hrs. He could not figure out the price charged vs labor and materials. He was pleased to say the least.

#10 ·
It cost me $90.00 cash. I was fine with that. They did a nice job, made sure the tips/pipes out the back were nice and even.

Of note: If you have a MSD box (Ignition) they recommend disconnecting it before you weld. I forgot but the installer remembered and asked me.

#12 ·
[QUOTE="dogface1972, post: 2279248, member: 46020"

Of note: If you have a MSD box (Ignition) they recommend disconnecting it before you weld. I forgot but the installer remembered and asked me.
[/QUOTE]

Dog or anyone, could you expand on this? Is disconnecting the battery or switching off the disconnect switch adequate to then weld? I'm about to have new mufflers installed. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.