Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Drive shaft question

3K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Federated52 
#1 ·
What other makes of drive shaft will interchange with tri five chevys as far as length and diameter? Thanks

#3 ·
It's not just diameter, it's what u-joint is used at the ends.

Answer is there are many vehicles that use the same or similar diameter and the same u-joints. But few will have the same length too.

Be aware that a new driveshaft can be manufactured using the u-joints you need and the length you need.

Also be aware that it's not all that difficult or expensive to shorten an existing driveshaft if it's too long. But you can't successfully lengthen one.

If you need a stock length driveshaft, there are still plenty of used ones out there.

#4 ·
Drive Shaft Question

Used tri five chevy drive shafts are scarce as hen's teeth around here, Ecklers is out of stock. Hope to find one in Bowling Green next month. The ends on mine are so banged up the U joint caps can't be removed and can't be reused. Thanks

#5 ·
Used tri five chevy drive shafts are scarce as hen's teeth around here, Ecklers is out of stock. Hope to find one in Bowling Green next month. The ends on mine are so banged up the U joint caps can't be removed and can't be reused. Thanks
I used an early 80s Ford Crown junk in my 55, had to be shortened, but it used same 1310 Spicer joints. Cost me $90 to shorten & balance & $24 for two Spicer u -joints.

#12 ·
Hi everyone,
I was wondering what the original driveshaft lengths are for a 1957 Nomad & a 1957 Truck. Center of yoke to center of yoke. I have a few driveshafts that I dug out of a barn where my Dad used to live. I don't know what they were out of, but he was into tri-five cars. From What I measure they are 53", 60", 62" a few 2-piece shafts that measure 65" total length.
Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.