Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Sheet metal repair questions

64K views 31 replies 16 participants last post by  John Charles 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Metal Fabrication and Repair questions

Hi Folks
If any one has any questions on how to or the best way to repair ,remove ,replace any and all panels you can start a thread (post your ??) or email me direct at prostreet@trifive.com and we will try to help you the best we can. TriFive has set this up for you folks to take advantage of and help you along with your projects. Thanks for stopping in to TriFive .

See less See more
#2 ·
outside rocker panel replacement

Prostreet,I am in dire need of advise,Ihad removed the outside rocker on the driver's side without installing any kind of braces (stupid me,not thinking) only to discover the inside rocker needed to be replaced and the piece that is behind the kick panel and sandwiches between inner and outer rocker also needs to be repaired.How can I get the door back in alignment to shut and also to get the replacement outer rocker in the proper location? The front and rear floor pans need to be replaced as well.This is on a 57 2 dr.sedan.The back of the door is sagging about 1/2 in..When door is closed it goes in about 1/4 in.too far.Any advise is greatly appreciated.Thanks,Paul

#3 ·
Hi Paul
Your by far not the first one to happen by a step or two.:D Dont let this worry you some time (or most ) I get cars delivered in three or four seperate deliveries and they still go together so not all is ever lost. :)
Here is a quick Illistration for some ideas on how to get some realignment back were it is needed.

Now dont forget there are quite a few ways to do this so use only what you feel comfortable with.
Notice right above the tube on the B pillar there is a drawing of a small piece of angle iron. When you get close to your jacking point weld a piece of angle (with the flat side down) a 1/2 inch above were the door seems to fit the best, this way you can shim between the jacking bar and the angle and if need be take shims out. Now I like to stress the door up a bit before I weld so when relaxed it falls into place.
Now as far as the adjustment on the door closing in to far Maybe able to fix that with a simple striker adjustment. If not you may have to play with the distance between the inner rocker and the frame rail untill you get the body mount secured.
Please keep us informed and take photo's if possible this a great post for others to learn from and when they need to know how you can refere back to this thread. :D

#4 · (Edited)
This may seem like a hijack but stick with me here. I too am dealing with replacing the rocker area of a 57 2 door sedan. Driver's side. The outer rocker is completely removed. An adjacent 6" strip has been removed from the lower quarter, this missing strip runs from door opening to wheel opening. Fender is off. The door is still mounted. Body mounts are in good shape, and car is resting normally on tires.

I've just gotten the outer rocker off, and now I can see the inner rocker needs replacing too. The outer section of floorboard that sits on top of the inner rocker is also rusty. My original plan was to surgically separate the inner rocker, leaving the floorpan as intact as possible, so that I could then use the floorpan to provide location for the new inner rocker. I'd weld the new inner rocker to just the crossmember supports(not to floorpan yet), then remove the old floorpan. Then install new floorpan, weld to inner rocker, then install the outer rocker.

After reading this post, now I'm thinking twice. Without bracing, is this thing gonna sag on me when I cut the inner rocker out? It has not sagged so far, I'm surprised to read that Paul's did with no more removed than the outer rocker.

The driver's floorpan is not rusted through, it's still providing support. But, it's not perfect, and that's all that will be providing rigidity there after the inner rocker is cut out.

I spent a lot of time aligning the door before I took the outer rocker off. I don't want to remove the door since the door is my method to align the new outer rocker. I know bracing wouldn't hurt, but do I really have to have it here? On a sedan on good mounts? If so, can I install effective bracing without removing the door?

#15 ·
The door is still mounted. Body mounts are in good shape, and car is resting normally on tires.

I spent a lot of time aligning the door before I took the outer rocker off. I don't want to remove the door since the door is my method to align the new outer rocker. I know bracing wouldn't hurt, but do I really have to have it here? On a sedan on good mounts? If so, can I install effective bracing without removing the door?
I replaced the floors, braces, cargo floor, tubs, and inner and outer rockers on my Nomad without any bracing whatsoever. I aligned the doors and kept checking, and nothing really moved. The body was on the frame, and I bolted the braces down and aligned them to the frame before I started locating the floors. I don't think the bracing is as critical with a sedan or wagon as it is with a HT or convertible.

#5 ·
Hi Byrdman
You can make your bracing with it shimmed out so the door opperates as usual with no interferance. It is always a good idea to brace were and when you can. Keep in mind even if all your gaps look great during the removal of structual panels, when you start welding the new ones in parts will move. :)

#6 ·
I was counting on the inner rocker for support (didn't look close enough).When I removed the outer rocker,the inner rocker almost fell out. My front and rear floorpans are rusted pretty bad too,no support there either.I'm lucky it's not out of wack any more than 1/2 in. Prostreet I appreciate the great advise.I will get back to work on her next week.I will try to get some pictures posted.Never again will I remove anything related to the door frame without bracing.Thinking about welding a brace to the inner door frame with a turnbuckle in the brace.Thanks again I would be lost without this great website. Paul

#12 ·
Won't have to do that much to mine,front and rear floor pans,inner and outer rockers on both sides and the toe board on drivers side.Then on to the outside,lower patch panels on both fenders and between the doors and wheel openings.Then I can finish the inside.

#16 ·
outside rocker panel replacement

Well guys sorry for such a long delay,health problems,and I have some good news on my problem.Prostreet advised bracing door frame,offsetting brace from the inside.I did this with a piece of 2''x2''angle,first I had tack welded the outer rocker in place in alignment with the door,I removed the tacks at the back of the rocker,placed a jack at the rear of the door and jacked door 1'' above correct location,next I welded angle in kick panel area and about halfway up in the rear door frame area.Next I re-tacked the back of the rocker in the correct location.I removed the jack and the door closes in correct location.now I am replacing floor pans and inner rocker panel. I have the same thing to do on passenger side,will brace before taking anything loose this time.thanks again Prostreet. I will get some pictures posted on this.

#17 ·
Hi Alexp
Hope your health problems are gone and you are feeling better. Great news on the repair, I'm sure the other side will go as well. Keep us posted on your health and repairs. :)

#20 ·
2 dr sedan roof vs. hardtop

howdy! new at this site but otherwise old and decrepid...question what is the actual difference between the roof panel on a 55 two door sedan and two door hard top? We all know the glass is different but is that because the pillars are different length/height or is the actual panel (from the gutters up)different, aside from the obvious side upper glass track being intregal to frame ect. thanks, cliff

#21 ·
The sedan roof is taller by about 1-1/2" (above the gutters) and it is longer by 3-4".

If you can find some photos of the same model cars taken from directly in front of the car or directly on the side of the car this is quite obvious. Notice also that the panel that's just in front of the trunk lid is that same 3-4" longer on a 2 door ht, and that the quarter windows are shorter. Also there is not as much leg room in the rear seat of a hardtop.

A few years back I saw a feature on a 57 sedan in a magazine. I don't know if it was a hardtop car converted to a sedan, or a sedan with a hardtop roof. But it looked like the top was chopped, and it had tiny quarter windows. It looked pretty dang good. I'm sure it was a dang lot of work too.

#22 ·
just what I needed

Well, thanks for the info, I have 2 56 sedans, ones for parts and the guy I got the parts car from has offered me a 55 belair hardtop that's pretty rough and the roof has been crushed along with the rest of the normal rust, I've always been most partial to 55's and want to get the car and had hoped that I could finagle the the 56 parts cars roof into play here...as I planned on putting the good 56 up for sale when complete to finance a 55...but I'd probably wind up buying a better car to cut the roof off than the one I'd be fixing so, I guess i've got my answer ...thanks, cliff

#23 ·
pannel warpage

hi prostreet:I am a new member and have read your tips on pannel replacement. I have replaced the back section of the trunk floor on my 57 2dr hdtp. Your mig welding tips have helped me make a nice butt weld across the floor. I hammer/dolly the welds as I jumped around with the spot welds and short bead runs( 1/2-3/4) inch. My problem is that I have created a "valley" with the weld being the low spot. Can you help me get out of this mess? thanks Bob L. Fairport N.Y.

#24 ·
smooth bottom

Prostreet,

I am building a high dollar '56 Bel Air show car. I want the sheet metal to be as smooth and beautiful on the firewall and bottom of the car as it is on all of the exterior that is readily visible. I have taken care of smoothing the firewall by replacing the stock firewall with an aftermarket replacement. Now I would like to replace the entire floor pan from the trunk to the firewall with smooth metal. I will also want to replace the flooring in the trunk. My questions are these:

What is the best metal to use for the replacement, such as sheet metal, alluminum, or ??? and in what thickness?

What is the best way to incorporate the transmission and driveline tunnel?
Should I buy a factory made replacement pannel and weld them to the new floor pannels, or should I have them fabricated from the same material that you recommended above? Should I try and keep the floor in one piece?

Can you recommend a supplier of parts?

I have purchased an Art Morrison Frame and will run a 502ci Ram Jet with a 4L80E transmission. I realize that by running a smooth floor board I will lose some of the rigidity and strength. However, what I hope to accomplish is a bottom side that is as smooth and beautiful as the rest of the car. I also hope to gain a few inches underneath the front seats so that they can be mounted a few inches lower. This will allow me to install power seats and thereby keep my head out the headliner. The stock floor pans are raised under the seats. I would appreactiate your insights and any other difficulties you think I might run into.

Thanks,

Kantaka, aka Mark

#25 ·
Prostreet,

I am building a high dollar '56 Bel Air show car. I want the sheet metal to be as smooth and beautiful on the firewall and bottom of the car as it is on all of the exterior that is readily visible. I have taken care of smoothing the firewall by replacing the stock firewall with an aftermarket replacement. Now I would like to replace the entire floor pan from the trunk to the firewall with smooth metal. I will also want to replace the flooring in the trunk. My questions are these:

What is the best metal to use for the replacement, such as sheet metal, alluminum, or ??? and in what thickness?
I would not recommend using aluminum, because then you have to figure out how to attach it to the rest of the car. It can be done, but not by welding, obviously. I think the stock floors are 20 gauge steel, but they have a lot of bends to make them rigid. If you want it smoother, you should go thicker (16 gauge??) or build a framework inside the car to attach it to. I have seen guys make a double floor in street rods, with about 3/4" thick tubing between the sheets. That way it's smooth inside and out, and adds a lot of structure to it.

What is the best way to incorporate the transmission and driveline tunnel?
Should I buy a factory made replacement pannel and weld them to the new floor pannels, or should I have them fabricated from the same material that you recommended above? Should I try and keep the floor in one piece?
I don't understand your question. You should be able to buy pre-made tranny tunnels from a street rod parts supplier.

I realize that by running a smooth floor board I will lose some of the rigidity and strength. However, what I hope to accomplish is a bottom side that is as smooth and beautiful as the rest of the car.
Yes you will lose a LOT of rigidity unless you plan your bends, beads, or whatever correctly. I'd seriously consider doing the double floor if you want it smooth.

#26 ·
I think the double floor with the 3/4" tubing is the way to go. You might even be able to use 1/2" tubing if you go with steel. I'd go with steel so that I could weld it and avoid fasteners. You could even add sound insulation and/or foam internally for insulation.

A good example of a plain aluminum floor not being sufficient for a street driven car is the floor and tubs in a typical Pro Stock style drag race car. Just driving over the small gravel that's typically in the pits and on the return road at most tracks will make noise that will drive you crazy.

#28 ·
If you study all the ribs, raised areas, lowered areas, etc. on a stock floor you probably won't have any problem at all with the front seats. There is a raised area under the front seat that's 1-1/4" tall, and it's not really a big problem on my car, but it might have been better if I'd cut it out and made it flush with the adjacent areas of the floor.

But study that floor carefully with regard to all this. There's other areas that deserve similar thought if you're going to build a generally flat floor. Also consider ground clearance for things like the mufflers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.