Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

About to buy a 55 with a blown engine, but.. it will be rebuild by dealer and need suggestions.

8K views 54 replies 36 participants last post by  cncdelag 
#1 ·
Hi All, a few months ago i posted about my dream to drive a 55 BA,,,I have two small boys and my 4yo.. loved muscle cars as much as i do.. so i look forward to sunday drives with them for a long time .. god willing.

I found something i really liked as soon as i laid my eyes on it.. its not a 55, but i thought it was a sweet 56.. see link https://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/dealer/chevrolet/210/2200423.html

Anyway,, to make a long drawn out story short. i paid a local expert classic car inspector to provide a report. During the test drive the engine Blew up!! oil all over the place...:bawling:

So i reviewed the report and aside from the bad engine and the faulty speedometer... the car checked out.

The next day i received a call from the sales man stating that they had taken the engine out of the car and are willing to have it rebuilt and the price of the car would remain the same...

Now i would be very hesitant to trust a salesman from 800 miles away if they were not a reputable dealer ship.. i researched the Volo Auto museum and they have been there for a long time and have a solid reputation. The person i hired out of the area advised that they were very reputable prior to seeing the car.

So i thought this may be an opportunity to have a rebuilt 383 stroker on my 56 and am now considering investing in some better components to improve the HP.

I have been educating myself on the ins and outs of the tri-fives and just trying to get a better understanding of how the different components should best compliment each other , ie , engine, transmission , dif and susp.

So im at the point where i have to make a decision if i should invest a few more K into the rebuild above and beyond the $3500 that the dealer claims they will be paying for the basic rebuild.

I was told today that the machine shop ( AVON automotive in lake vill IL) is a family run shop that is honest. They think the engine can perform at 475 with performance rods and pistons , rockers and put everything else back the way it was. I think that maybe a stretch.. What do you guys think?

anyway my questions are as follows:

is $3500 normally the going rate for rebuilding a 383stroker?
What if any upgrades can i have done within the ability of the tranny and the dif ?

Am i crazy for trusting a shop half way across the country from me?

btw,, the salesman from the dealer says the shop will warranty the engine for 1 year.. and they will cover the cost of any issues from a local shop if need be. but im not holding my breath on that one...:p3:

I appreciate any and all suggestions and points of view. I know this forum has some of the most experienced in the field and am grateful to have the opportunity to ask questions to you guys.

Thanks for reading about my little crisis.:flag6:

See less See more
#2 ·
that is one pretty car ,in the same breath im kinda superstitious take it out for a test drive and the engine blows if it were me i would run from it ,and in my opinion its priced a little high im sure gents on here could find much better deals jmo

#3 ·
Nice looking car, from what I can see from the pictures the car is overpriced. The headliner needs work, what is the string around the radiator for. The dealer should have known about the engine. I would walk away. There are better deals out there.:anim_25:

#4 ·
beautiful 56 and it should be at that price. don't think that is the one for a Sunday drive with your boys anyway. i would keep looking for your dream 55. buyers market and you should be able to get your dream at that price. :anim_25:

#8 ·
Bait and switch. Overpriced for a 210 sedan with lots of little things left undone. Holes in the firewall from who knows what, just to mention one.

These guys buy finished cars by the semi-load and flip them for 100% profit. I know some one that knows them well.....maybe too well. He has been around the business of flipping cars for a long time.

Keep looking, the show season is just starting.....lots of them out there with better bang for the buck.

Mikey

#9 ·
That motor was blowing oil smoke in the vid.

Volo is a stand up place I lived in N IL & attended car shows there, never a bad word about them.

They already have the engine out they need to fix it anyway, don't commit to buy or give them money until its running & you check it out. Ask for the right of first refusal. In the mean time you may find a 55.

A 383 is a healthy mill it probably will not hook on those rear tires. If you put tires on it that hook & the trans is a Muncie 1st gear & the cluster will fail.

Put a blower cam in it + a blower its the easy way to make 600hp.

#10 ·
They already have the engine out they need to fix it anyway, don't commit to buy or give them money until its running & you check it out. Ask for the right of first refusal.
Best advice I've seen in the thread. Let them fix it and make it right, then if you like it buy it. Don't make a deal now, it's an invitation to them cutting corners on the fix.

For starters, how do they know it's $3500 to repair the engine? How would you know what to upgrade when you don't know what's in it now?

For me, it's not even close to a $48k car even with a good 383. I'd keep looking.

#14 ·
#13 ·
blown motor?

A little high priced for the finish. I would never buy a $40K car with twine holding something on. No telling what else? Looks like alum heads on motor and tall valve covers. My take is walk away. If you are spending close to that there is always cars here or ebay that seem much better.

#16 ·
I'm not gonna trash the car, but will say this. I see too many things not to like about it for the price. But to me the biggest fault..... It isn't the 55 you dream of. Don't settle. Find the one you want and don't live with regret down the road.

Just my 0.02.

#21 ·
I live about 10 miles from Volo. Some time ago (at least 10 years) one of the brothers got in trouble as they represented a Shelby Mustang clone as the real deal. If I recall, he may have actually done a little jail time.

I go up there once or twice a year. They have about six Duesenbergs/Cords (not for sale) that are stunning and a bunch of movie cars.

They have some real nice cars (maybe ~ 20%) Otherwise the descriptions on the car's windshields rarely match the car. Not a flat out misrepresentation but certainly some "puffing." When I see frame-off or nut and bolt restored, the first thing I look at are the window fuzzies. Most of the time they are ratty. But, at the same time, the car's prices are probably in line (give or take) for what they are and the condition they are in. The seller pays 10% commission on the selling price.

The bottom line for me is buy a plane ticket. About an hour from O'Hare. This advice would apply to any car you were looking at from any dealer.

I am not saying run from Volo. Just exercise a lot of diligence. Same for any dealer.

#23 ·
IMO the 383 stroker motor will give you plenty of power. Do you know what happened to the engine? I would opt for a 383 stroker crate motor which has a full 2 to 3 year warranty. Will the rebuilt engine be warranted?

Lets face it that car is at the top end of the value chain. Only purchase if they warranty the rebuild.

#24 ·
Hi Topdog,

Yes i am being told they will rebuild the motor and provide a 1year warranty. I am also considering having them put in performance rods , pistons and rockers as they say that will increase the HP by around 75... not sure if that accurate but thats what i was told.

Also i would like to know if anyone has used Avon automotive in Lake Villa, IL??? The dealer states they are reputable and have been in business for 60 years, but i could not Evan find a website for them and very little else. I am waiting for a call back from the machine shop owner to see if they will provide a written warranty and how it will cover any issues on my side of the map. Also i will ask if they will provide a dyno results etc.

Regarding the engine failure, i was told it had a broken piston rod and seal. But they block will be rebuilt. That is were i am uncertain.

i really like the car and have not found any other like that in this in my price range so i am seriously considering pulling the trigger.

I also just spoke to the person who inspected the car and he sounded re-assuring the after the rebuild it should perform well and that its not a complicated high compression engine so not to worry so much as long as i have a warranty. But then what if there is an issue and the machine shop says the engine was abused... then are they off the hook?

To many scenarios in still trying to iron out.:p3:

#26 ·
Following this thread, will chime in. Take the advice that’s been given here. Lots of experience and wisdom, yet you still want to do otherwise. Granted, it’s your money to do with it as you want. Sometimes getting an education costs lots of money before graduating. And you’re going to graduate with a PHD with this one. Think for a minute. You ask a SALESMAN a question. Their answer will ALWAYS be positive and what you want to hear. Remember, you live halfway across the country and they know this. This isn’t their first rodeo. Drove a 24K miles Silverado the other day. Clunked while shifting in low gears. Asked why the clunk? Young salesman, “they all do that”. Thanks for test drive and have a great day - goodbye. Bottom line - you’re buying something that you don’t know what you’re getting from way far away. Ask yourself that and answer honestly - you’ll get the correct answer. May not be the one you have your heart set on, but the correct one. Off the soapbox. Good luck on your (whatever) car purchase. I’m pulling for you.

Fuzz

:gba:

MAGA

#29 ·
am also considering having them put in performance rods , pistons and rockers as they say that will increase the HP by around 75
Those items won't increase the HP by 75. They may be good for various reasons, reliability being one, but few HP to be gained with them. You change heads, camshafts, and manifolds for power.

Just one more reason to think they're blowing smoke on this deal, and to run don't walk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.