Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Search For Cast Tall Valve Covers with Baffles that Fit Howards Roller Rockers

5K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  55VegasNomad 
#1 ·
This is a continuation of my 327 build. The heads are Edelbrock Performers, the roller rockers are Howards. Just got finished in another thread adjusting the guideplates and rockers. No crankcase breather on the back of this '68 vintage 327 so the valve covers will need to have breathers. Had hoped to use the early 70's cast Chevy LT1 valve covers with thick gaskets but no dice getting those valve covers and their fat/wide oil baffle down between the Howards roller rockers. Tried squeezing the stamped steel baffles but still too wide to make it down there. Anyone found a cast aluminum (and tall too) valve cover with baffles that fit down between wide body rockers (if that's what you'd call them)? Tried a number of times to rotate that pic showing the rockers but no dice.
Thanks,
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Rotated the pic for you :anim_25:

#5 ·
Yeah bit it's not near the baffle as the factory one. But it's far better than just using a supposed "baffled" grommet. And that's the dilemma - most any solution is going to fall short of the factory baffle which is too wide for the aftermarket rockers. Even that one may be too wide, but you could fashion one that fits.

A simple baffle in conjunction with a baffled grommet may get you most of the way there.

#8 ·
Thanks all for the feedback and thanks Pops for putting that pic rightside up.
In my album, the engine pic was correct but each time I posted it, it wasn't. I even tried to rotate it in my album in an attempt to 'outsmart it' but no luck there either.
It's looking like Rick_L is right, when I find that tall valve cover I'll be using some sort of flat plate baffle in conjunction with a baffled grommet.
I am going to be using the Williams 3/4-inch forward mounts so figure (more like hope) no firewall interference.
Speaking of those grommets, anyone have a preference with them?
Hutchenc - Those are amazing looking valve covers but a bit more than I need, thanks anyway.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

#9 ·
I've contacted a couple of the tall cast aluminum valve cover vendors since most of the listings don't show pics of the type and size of baffle used.
A buddy with a 56 2dr Handyman Wagon with a Smeding 383 loaned me his valve covers which appear to have been made by ProForm and the baffle is fairly well constructed and only drops down about an inch from the roof of the valve cover (pics attached) so I'm probably going to order up a set of Proforms.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

Attachments

#10 ·
Can you use the aluminum spacers that go between the head and the valve cover? I used to see these all the time at the drag strip and I know these cars were running roller rockers. If memory serves me they used to make them in 1/2" 1" and 1 1/2" thickness. If you are going to use the 3/4" forward motor mounts, firewall clearance should not be a problem.

#11 · (Edited)
Funny you should mention those spacers. Just before I placed the Summit order, I ran across an old thread where someone mentioned just that...valve cover spacers. The ones I found were 3/8 inch thick billet and after measuring the overall height of the Proform covers, it seems that a 3/8 spacer along with a gasket above and below the spacer should buy me a full half inch to 5/8 inch of additional clearance. Granted, I did have to 'squeeze' the hell out of the factory oil baffle but it looks doable.
Mike T - Prescott AZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.