Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Steve Blades New Article

9K views 39 replies 18 participants last post by  1957Army150 
#1 ·
Just noticed an article by Steve Blades in the latest ATFA magazine (June 2019) about a series of his articles that will be coming up....The name of the article is: It All Starts With A Plan....In the series he will be restoring his original 55 Belair two door hardtop that has come back into his possession....Of particular interest to me is that he will be building it as a 50's mild custom, as I am doing with mine.

Steve will be starting on this project in the fall, after the Danchuk Tri-Five Nationals is over....In Steve's words:

"As this project evolves we will be doing articles on installing and adjusting hardtop side glass, installing and adjusting the roof stainless and flippers, some of the Mild Custom modifications to the car; such as shaving the door handles and locks, installing electric actuators in the both the doors and trunk, and installing a new Golden Star "Nosed" hood. I'll be rebuilding and restoring the original speedometer and gauges, as well as the original Deluxe Heater. We will also show you how to shim and adjust the body mounts so the doors fit as they should and much, much more."

I'm anxiously looking forward to Steve's writings....If you have not become an ATFA member yet, I highly recommend it....IMHO, just the magazine alone is worth it.

See less See more
#4 ·
#5 ·
Hoping Steve will still do these articles on the car. Says he wants to stop writing them in the current AFTA issue.

#7 ·
agreed.

#10 ·
Carl which issue was that June or July?

Dang....That's terrible news....That was the primary reason that I bought the magazine.

#40 ·
Pop's it is the July issue, I recieved it yesterday, he indicates he is stepping away from the AFTA and the Tri-Five Nationals,
I also noticed that. Seems there was some kind of falling out between Steve and ATFA. Unfortunate. I sincerely hope ATFA is not following in the footsteps and making the same mistakes as the old Classic Chevy International.
I guess the future will tell....

#13 ·
I don't think it was a falling out with ATFA...at least I didn't get that from the article. It seems pretty clear to me that Steve simply has too much on his plate, and needs to focus his attention on other matters. One thing that is noticeably different than with CCCI; Chris is being up front with all the members and published Steve's letter, and his response, for all to see. You never knew what was going on behind the scenes with CCCI.

#15 ·
I enjoyed Steve’s articles as much as anyone, but he has his reasons I guess for slowing down and taking a deep breath. May very well be something very personal, who really knows.

I agree with you davlin56, we would have never seen this kind of transparency in the old ccci.

At any rate, many many thanks to Steve Blades for four years of outstanding tech articles! You will be missed.

#17 ·
Interesting and sad to Steve step back, by far the best part of the magazine. Can’t blame him a bit though, ATFA takes a lot out of you. I also saw Mike Compton won’t be there this year either. Seems they have lost a few us Ambassadors now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#18 ·
Thank you for your kind words and support guys. I really appreciate it. Sometime in the near future I will be writing a few articles along the same lines as before. Just haven't figured out where they will go yet; as they will not be in the ATFA magazine. I will also do updates on the '55 build. I am looking forward to building this mild custom as it had special meaning to me because of it being my first car. It will be a true '50's mild custom. I love that style of car and it's a shame that we don't see more of them. This is a rendering of my car when finished. Let me know what you think. I wish all the best to the ATFA in the future, but it's time for me to move on. Looking forward to seeing a bunch of you next weekend at the Nationals!

Attachments

#19 ·
Steve...Thanks a bunch for your reply...I was hoping that you would find some way to continue reporting on your 55 build...I am building a mild custom 55 hardtop myself....As soon as you know, please inform everyone where/when your articles will be published...You have quite a following here.

#22 ·
Jim....I just get error codes with your links

#32 ·
Steve`s latest Facebook post as he has changed the name.

For those that aren't aware, I changed the name of this group from the American Tri-Five to Tri-Five Chevrolet International. I did this after the owner of the ATFA complained to FB about the logo still being used now that I am no longer with the magazine. Everything else will remain the same within the group. I'm sorry for any confusion that this may have caused, but it's all finished now. I am very honored and proud of being a part of the ATFA during it's first four years and of the work that I did while there. I left the magazine on my own accord and that's all that I will say about the subject. I don't like drama, and this will hopefully be the end of it. Now, let's get back to our beloved Tri-Five's!!

#39 ·
Like I said earlier, I am sure the man had his reasons to step back. For those of us attending the nationals, and who knows, maybe Steve will stop by the meet and great on thursday at 4 at the hotel and anyone who enjoyed his articles can tell him so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.