Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Collector's advice wanted

Tags
55 chevy axle
3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  HawaiiPart 
#1 ·
Hi, some advice please. I've what I think is a 55 Chevy rear end axle, just posted for sale on CL. I had earlier taken it to the dump, but the worker said it was too valuable to toss away (valuable as in "hard to get"), that I should offer it. If nobody responds to the ad, do I go ahead and dump it without feeling that I've committed a car-collectors-sin? I'm in Hawaii, so there is probably very limited interest here, and shipping would be costly. Thus my thoughts that it might head back to the dump.

Advice? Is this part worth fussing over, or is tossing it just fine?

#5 ·
The only value a stock 55 rear end would have would be with someone doing a restoration. They aren't a real strong rear end and with newer engine combinations would be the weak link. This of course is the observations of one that used to scatter them with 6500 rpm clutch dumps. With an automatic and driven reasonably, they would be adequate.

#6 ·
I've not broken a rear, since I turned 65 :)

#7 ·
Some farming implements and road/construction equipment are assembled with used differentials, so someone there may have a need for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.