Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

Can't Get Valve Cover Off

4K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  Bill Jenkins 
#1 · (Edited)
Can't Get Valve Cover Off, Silicone Gaskets The Answer ?

Tall valve covers on SBC/55 Muncie.

Can't remove rt side in particular, left side is iffy.

Should I remove back motor mounts and try to rotate engine down?

If so, will I risk damage to front mounts?

Are there any valve covers more clearance friendly that will work w/tall valve train ?

I believe I have these...

http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performance-Products/555/501020/10002/-1

#6 ·
Valve cover is under offset in firewall which
keeps cover from lifting straight up.

Tall valvetrain keeps cover from sliding forward to remove.

Only solution I see is to remove 2 back motor mounts,
lower engine then I can lift cover enough to remove.

Looking for easier way.

This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Man I went through this when I put my motor back in after my C4 swap...the swap put the motor up a little higher than it had been relative to the firewall, and the tall covers just won't fit under that pinch on the passenger side of the firewall.

I hate to say this, but you're gonna have to pull that motor forward somehow to get it off, or destroy the cover to get it off (if that's even possible).

I'd ditch those tall covers one way or the other...lots of lower profile ones out there that should work unless you're running a stud girdle.

#15 ·
You understand my problem, exactly !

Yes, I have the stud girdle (w/Scorpion rockers)

Beginning to think no simple solution...I can live w/this
but really dislike my valve covers, and to install an engine
in such a manner that valve covers won't come off...

well, "It just ain't right"

#12 ·
I picked up a set of Billet Specialties mid height covers for my SBC. I think they are 2 3/4" tall (a full inch shorter than typical tall covers) and they fit under the pinch just fine. I'm running AFR 220 heads and full roller rockers with 7/16" studs with a .600 lift roller cam...I have plenty of clearance with these shorter covers.

#17 ·
After 2 years of valve covers I don’t like and annoying valve cover leak, problem solved.

Removed valve cover nuts, squeeze fingers and wrench in tapering crack between VC and head. Remove SG nuts, let SG fall loose. Remove alternator. Roll VV off head. 👍

Had to cut fins off passenger valve cover to get on, and 3/16” gasket to clear valve train.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.