Chevy Tri Five Forum banner

*Metallic or Solid?

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Fiddy5Coupe 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,
I think i'm gonna paint my 55 a cobalt blue and silver. I'm planning on painting it myself. How hard is it to paint metallic vs solid?

#2 ·
Metallics I'd definitely use a base coat/clearcoat system, not single stage. I've found gray metallic is very difficult to spray vs. other colors. Silver may be similar. Get yourself an old hood or something and practice until perfect!

#5 ·
The first question that must be answered is, can you spray the layers of base coat on the entire car in one day? If you can't, then I suggest you stick to a non-metallic paint. Reason being, the metallic flakes will lay down differently depending on various atmospheric and weather conditions. I will be painting my '57 in pieces and on different days, so even though I would have loved to spray a metallic base/clear paint job on my '57, I can't, so I'm shooting a solid red single stage.

#6 ·
Yes, that's the problem. When that happens, it's called "tiger striping".

When you use single stage metallic, you have to spray for both color and gloss. This is when tiger striping is at most risk.

When you use base/clear, you don't have to lay the base on for gloss. Light, multi-overlapping coats get the color on easier without tiger stripes. "Dry spray" is ok as long as it's not excessive. Then you lay the clear on to get the smooth gloss.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.